14：英検対策2級（Eiken Grade 2）
07: Eiken Grade 2 Vocabularies Lesson 7
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to investigate, to examine carefully, to search or travel through a place to discover something
■Example: Please explore all the possibilities of getting a job in another country.
2. object verb [uhb-jekt]
to feel or express dislike or disapproval
■Example: He wanted us to travel tomorrow but I objected because there is a typhoon.
3. Occur verb [uh-kur]
to take place; come about; to happen; to be found
■Example: When did your wedding party occur?
4. overcome verb [oh-ver-kuhm]
to defeat or conquer, to win against
■Example: She finally overcame her fear of heights.
5. avoid verb [uh-void]
to keep away from a place, person or thing
■Example: My father drives carefully to avoid the holes in the road.
6. practice verb [prak-tis]
to do often or repeatedly, to do repeatedly to become good
■Example: To be a good English speaker, you have to practice many times.
7. affect verb [v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt]
to have an influence on; effect a change in something or someone
■Example: Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.
8. attach verb [uh-tach]
to fasten, secure, or join
■Example: Please attach the files to this folder.
9. charge verb [chahrj]
to impose a duty, responsibility, or obligation on someone
■Example: His teacher charged him with the task of watching the young kids on the playground.
10. transplant verb [v. trans-plant, -plahnt]
to remove (an organ of the body) and put into another person or animal
■Example: Doctors are able to transplant my kidney to my younger brother.
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
____________________1. to take place; come about, to happen; to be found
____________________2. to keep away from a place, person or thing
____________________3. to defeat or conquer, to win against
____________________4. to do often or repeatedly, to do repeatedly to become good
____________________5. to feel or express dislike or disapproval
____________________6. to have an influence on; effect a change in something or someone
____________________7. to impose a duty, responsibility, or obligation on someone
____________________8. to investigate, to examine carefully
____________________9. to remove (an organ of the body) and put into another person or animal
____________________10. to fasten, secure, or join
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1) My friends and I will______________ the caves next week. We promised ourselves we would travel the world to discover its beauty.
2) The accident _____________ yesterday morning. We can’t really expect when they will take place.
3) He always ____________ the subject of money. When we talk about it, he tries to change the subject.
4) He wanted us to travel on foot, but I ______________ to that idea because the destination is very far. He then suggested that we go by car.
5) The hotel ____________ me more than I expected. I think there was a mistake on my bill.