16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
15: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 15
Part 1: Vocabulary words
serving to defend; protective
excessively concerned with guarding against the real or imagined threat of criticism, injury to one's ego, or exposure of one's shortcomings
■Example: I am not blaming you for the problem, so you don't need to get defensive.
□Note: Why do people react defensively?
2. Humble adjective [huhm-buhl]
not proud or arrogant; modest; having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority
■Example: To be humble means to not think you are greater than someone else.
□Note: SYNONYMS: low, lowly, modest, small, abase
3. Outgoing adjective [out-goh-ing or, -goh-]
interested in and responsive to others; friendly; sociable
■Example: Personality traits are often set for life, including whether a person is shy and introverted or outgoing and extroverted.
□Note: an outgoing personality
4. vulgar adjective [vuhl-ger]
crude, coarse, unrefined
■Example: I find vulgar language offensive.
□Note: SYNONYMS: unrefined, inelegant, low, boorish, rude
5. decent adjective [dee-suhnt]
conforming to the recognized standard of propriety, goodtaste,modesty, etc., as in behavior or speech, respectable
■Example: People work hard because they want to live decent lives.
□Note: You will need some decent clothes to go away to college.
6. Considerate adjective [kuhn-sid-er-it]
showing kindly awareness or regard for another's feelings,circumstances
■Example: It was very considerate of you to give up your place for your friend.
□Note: Common expression: Be considerate of others, and don't go over the time you signed up for.
7. Receptive adjective [ri-sep-tiv]
having the quality of receiving, taking in, or admitting; open to new ideas or knowledge
■Example: The board was very receptive to my proposal and approved the project.
□Note: SYNONYMS: amenable, responsive
8. Stout adjective [stout]
bulky in figure; heavily built; fat
■Example: She is getting too stout for her dresses.
□Note: Synonyms: big, stocky, portly, fleshy
Antonyms: thin, lean, slender, slim, skinny
9. Adorable adjective [uh-dawr-uh-buhl, uh-dohr]
worthy of being adored, very attractive or delightful; charming
■Example: That is an adorable dress!
□Note: What is the most adorable thing to you?
10. Brutal adjective [broot-l]
savage; cruel; inhuman; brutal language; harsh; ferocious
■Example: Is anyone willing to critique my story in the most brutally honest way?
□Note: Word Origin and History: in the mid-15c, in reference to the nature of animals brutus, meaning fierce
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
___________1. not proud or arrogant; modest
___________ 2. having the quality of receiving, taking in, or admitting
___________ 3. worthy of being adored, very attractive or delightful; charming
___________ 4. bulky in figure; heavily built; fat
___________ 5. conforming to the recognized standard of propriety, goodtaste,modesty, etc.
____________6. savage; cruel; inhuman
___________ 7. crude, coarse, unrefined
___________ 8. showing kind awareness or regard for another'sfeelings,circumstances
___________ 9. interested in and responsive to others; friendly; sociable
___________ 10. serving to defend; protective
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The ____________reaction to a physical threat is to fight or to run. Most of the time, making an offensive move just opens a person to more danger, most especially if he’s not trained enough to do so.
2. The Senate was ____________ to the President's plan for giving more aid to the cities ever since they sank in man-deep water. They are maximizing all the resources that they can get to attend to the needs of the people.
3. I have learned that there are far more benefits to being__________ and social than mild-mannered and reserved. However, it’s not a kind of personality that one can develop in the blink of an eye.
4. There is an increasing number of court filings and complaints to human resources department related to inappropriate and __________language. It seems that people really have their own way of expressing their disappointments and frustrations.
5. To be ___________ means to not think you are greater than someone else. Humility is a virtue that’s not commonly seen in people’s way of living. Due to tight competitions, we are forced to think highly of ourselves for others not to look down on us.
6. When people are ____________ of each other, they make interactions proceed more smoothly. It's important for everyone to learn to be thoughtful of the people around them in order to avoid misunderstandings and hurt feelings.
7. The _________July heat wave that wilted crops, shriveled rivers and fueled wildfires was recorded last Wednesday as the hottest single month on record for the continental United States.
8. Whether you're trying to convince someone of a viewpoint, make friends, or get a new job, looking like a ____________ person is important. Most of the time, you are identified by the impression that you make on other people.
9. I spend a lot of fun and quality time reading, playing and singing with my _________ baby. No matter how stressful life maybe, only a few minutes with him makes life a lot lighter and brighter.
10. One year of consistent working out, a balanced diet, and a lot of self-discipline transformed his brother from a very ____________ man into a well-trimmed hunk. We were all inspired by the big change that he made in his life.