16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
24: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 24
Part 1: Vocabulary words
group or association of individuals or officials usually established under the authority of the law
■Example: The country is obviously dominated by large corporations that generate huge taxes for the government.
□Note: This word came from the Latin word ‘corporationem’, which means ‘to embody’.
2. Fund noun [fuhnd]
supply of money intended for specific purposes; supply or stock
■Example: The non-governmental organization that supports those out of school youth was able to double its funds this year through their resilient efforts.
□Note: This word can also be used as a verb which means ‘to place money in a fund’.
3. Resident noun [rez-i-duh nt]
a person who dwells or lives in a certain place
□Note: The word ‘resident’ can also mean a physician who is a part of the medical staff of a hospital.
4. Subject noun [suhb-jik]
the central concern
■Example: The subject of the board’s meeting is extremely confidential.
□Note: Some related words are theme and topic. However, the word ‘subject’ is broader.
5. Consequence noun [kon-si-kwens, -kwuh ns]
the outcome of something that occurred earlier
■Example: It is of great importance that you always consider the consequences of your actions before making any decision.
□Note: What do you think are the consequences of not reporting to work quite often?
6. Regulation noun [reg-yuh-ley-shuh n]
rule or law that is mandated by the authority
■Example: The new regulation states that only regular employees are allowed to have two days-off in a week.
□Note: What regulations are strictly enforced in your company?
7. Orbit noun [awr-bit]
the elliptical path a planet follows in its movement
■Example: Believe it or not, it takes around 164 years for Neptune to complete its movement in its orbit.
□Note: The word ‘orbit’ can also be used as a verb which means ’to travel in an orbit’.
8. Storage noun [stawr-ij, stohr-]
a place or room where things can be placed or kept
■Example: As soon as the spring season comes, we put all our winter clothes in storage andreplace them with thinner and more comfortable clothes.
□Note: Another usage of this word as a noun is the ‘act of storing’.
9. Application noun [ap-li-key-shuh n]
the act of applying for a specific use or purpose; the act of requesting something
■Example: He submitted his Visa application a month ago. He’s just waiting for the response of the embassy.
□Note: In computers, ‘application’ means a program that allows people to use the computer in accomplishing particular tasks.
10. Workout noun [wurk-out]
practice for athletes or physical exercises
■Example: He does a workout 2 hours everyday to prepare for the upcoming tournament.
□Note: Do you workout?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
___________1. practice for athletes or physical exercises
___________ 2. the elliptical path a planet follows in its movement
___________ 3. the central concern
___________ 4. group or association of individuals or officials usually established under the authority of the law
___________ 5. rule or law that is mandated by the authority
____________6. a person who dwells or lives in a certain place
___________ 7. the act of applying for a specific use or purpose; the act of requesting something
___________ 8. supply of money intended for specific purposes; supply or stock
___________ 9. a place or room where things can be placed or kept
___________ 10. the outcome of something that occurred earlier
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Through the accurate forecast of the movement of plates that affect tidal waves, __________ were evacuated early before the gigantic waves hit their area. Although sheltered in safety, some of the dwellers of the town still mourn for their properties that were heavily damaged or lost.
2. Carla had to clear up some space in her house because she needed to expand the ____________ space for all her clothing, shoes, bags and accessories. She actually emptied the guest room just to fit all her things in.
3. There are times that Pluto is nearer from the sun than Neptune because of its eccentric ___________. This path that is travelled by the planet that used to be the smallest in our solar system is destructible due to many variable factors.
4. Six months have already passed since he submitted his __________, but he still hasn't received any updates yet. When he called the embassy to check the status of his request, an officer said a political conflict between the two countries has been impeding the processing of his documents.
5. A large aerospace____________ was founded to invest in designing and manufacturing innovative spacecraft and satellites. A number of the world's most renowned aircraft engineers and multimillionaires collaborated to challenge the vastness of outerspace.
6. There are still some loop holes in the __________ of the school that allow the students to evade punishment for misconduct. Both the teachers and the parents agreed on making a drastic change in the rules of the school.
7. Non-governmental organizations stepped up to raise __________ to give aid to the victims of the country's most destructive and fatal calamity in the last 30 years. A humongous amount of money is needed to provide them with their daily necessities and to help them recover from the incident.
8. Many people in the country, both young and old, have been dying of hunger as a ____________ of the civil war that has been pervading the country, not to mention poverty. However, the causes of these fatalities had not yet been addressed until now.
9. With his deteriorating health, his doctor advised him not to do any strenuous _____________ in the next few weeks until his body is nourished enough. Any heavy physical activities can lead to a heart attack that could be very fatal.
10. Further research on the ______________ is needed in order to give more substance and strength to it. We'll do our best to gather more information to be able to give more details about the matter or concern.