16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
28: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 28
Part 1: Vocabulary words
[in-shoo r-uh ns, -shur-]
the contract wherein one party agrees to pay the loss or harm of the other under certain conditions as a form of security
■Example: He was trained well on how to encourage people to purchase life insurance in order to be secure.
□Note: Do you think it is important to get car insurance?
2. Co-author noun [koh-aw-ther, koh-aw-]
one of the authors
■Example: He met with his co-author last night to discuss the modifications in the approach that they will use in writing the research.
□Note: The prefix ‘co-‘ is a Latin word which means ‘with or together’.
3. Developer noun [dih-vel-uh-per]
a person who invests in order to develop
■Example: The developer of the land is facing charges for not securing the necessary documents before they began developing the 50-hectare land.
□Note: Most of the time, we add the suffix –er to a verb to make it a noun.
4. Psychiatry noun [si-kahy-uh-tree, sahy-]
this is the branch of medicine for diagnosing, treating and preventing mental disorders
■Example: He is currently doing research on the psychiatry of the elderly.
□Note: What springs into your mind when you hear the word ‘psychiatry’?
5. Sufferer noun [suhf-er-er]
one who undergoes and feels pain, loss, injury, etc.
■Example: I can’t bear looking at the sufferer’s eyes because I can see in them the pain that he had to endure.
□Note: How do you think you could help a sufferer of a broken heart?
6. Toll noun [tohl]
the level or the range of loss, destruction or damage, suffering, etc. which results from some actions or happenings
■Example: The high casualty toll of the civilian war is so unimaginable that the government has raised the status of the ‘State of Emergency’ in the town.
□Note: The word ‘toll’ can also mean ‘the payment for some privileges’.
7. Workplace noun [wurk-pleys]
place where one does his job such as office, factory, etc.
■Example: It is of utmost importance that employees are provided with healthy and safe workplaces so as to ensure their good condition at work.
□Note: What do you think a workplace should have to help relieve the stress of the employees?
8. Extinction noun [ik-stingk-shuh n]
the condition of being no longer in existence
■Example: A lot of our animals have come to extinction because of the illegal activities of the people that destroy their habitats.
□Note: What are some animals in your country that are in danger of extinction?
9. Emission noun [ih-mish-uh n]
the act of releasing sound, heat, liquid, light, etc.; the act of discharging or issuing
■Example: Automobiles are the major causes of carbon monoxide emission in the air.
□Note: It comes from the Latin word ‘emittere’, which means ‘to send forth.’
10. Creativity noun [kree-ey-tiv-i-tee, kree-uh-]
the state of having the ability or power to create, which is characterized by the originality of thought
■Example: The talk of the world renowned artist centered on stimulating creativity in the participants’ minds to come up with much better works of art.
□Note: What do you think brings about creativity in an individual?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
___________1. the condition of being no longer in existence
___________ 2. the level or the range of loss, destruction or damage, suffering, etc. which results from some actions or happenings
___________ 3. one who undergoes and feels pain, loss, injury, etc.
___________ 4. the act of releasing sound, heat, liquid, light, etc.; the act of discharging or issuing
___________ 5. place where one does his job such as office, factory, etc.
____________6. this is the branch of medicine for diagnosing, treating and preventing mental disorders
___________ 7. the state of having the ability or power to create, which is characterized by the originality of thought
___________ 8. one of the authors
___________ 9. the contract wherein one party agrees to pay the loss or harm of the other under certain conditions as a form of security
___________ 10. a person who invests in order to develop
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The calamity agency has already recorded a death ______________of 35 after a huge tornado hit the town. Only three hours have passed since the disaster struck and the number of casualties is still increasing.
2. That alien versus humans movie so stimulated the curiosity of the people that it sold a whopping $105,000 in its debut. It shows the human beings' struggle to fight ____________when they are unexpectedly attacked by aliens with unimaginably high-tech weapons.
3. Google launched a contest in 2008 challenging Android ____________ to come up with high-quality mobile applications. Surprisingly, one-third of the submitted applications came from the brains of the people in the United States of America.
4. Before accepting a job offer, look into all the necessary factors to see if the work matches your needs. Salary, benefits, location of the ______________ and working hours are some of the top considerations to make before signing that contract.
5. In war, no country can actually come out of the battle victorious. Such a mankind struggle leaves death tolls and an enormous number of ____________ from losing a loved one, losing property, and more so, losing the right to innocence and happiness.
6. Karl Marx, with his _____________Friedrich Engels, published one of the world's most influential political manuscripts entitled 'Manifesto of the Communist Party’. The writing centered on the history of class struggles and the problems of capitalism.
7. The government official passed on an order for _____________ companies to increase their capital in order to protect the welfare of their clients. However, this may lead them to close down and consequently, leave the insuring public in limbo in the end.
8. Most job applicants are on such equal footing with one another that they have even prepared the same answers for the expected questions. However, it's your _____________ that can make you stand out and be chosen for the position.
9. ______________ has one of the most horrible histories in the field of Science. In the old times, those who were deemed to have a mental disorder, or 'lunatics' as they called them, were submerged in ice baths until they lost consciousness or given an intense shock to the brain.
10. Destruction of our ozone layer continues to worsen and is perhaps unstoppable because of the _____________ of gases. The release of these gases into the air is from the activities of humans, whether in their household, in factories, on the road, etc.