16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
29: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 29
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to be noticed, to exist, to happen
■Example: Businessmen should always be prepared to handle whatever economic problems arise.
□Note: Arise can be confused with rise. Arise means to exist or to begin, whereas rise means to move from a lower to upper positon.
2. migrate verb (mahy-greyt)
to move from one place, region or country to another
■Example: People from impoverished countries often migrate to developing countries to improve their lives and most especially their finances.
□Note: If you were given a chance to migrate, where would you go? Why?
3. implement verb (im-pluh-ment)
to make use of something in order to fulfill a specific goal; to carry out a plan to achieve something
■Example: Voters should vote for government officials who can implement effective plans to improve the lives of each individual in a certain state or country.
□Note: Think of 3 great plans that you would like to implement to improve your life.
4. guarantee noun (gar-uhn-tee)
an assurance that something will be done if a certain situation or condition has been met
■Example: Buyers are expecting at least a 1 year-guarantee from digital shops, most especially if the item sold is an expensive brand.
□Note: A guarantor is the person who gives the assurance or promise related to the quality and performance of something.
5. merge verb (murj)
to join or combine two things in order to be one
■Example: A businessman, who is about to declare bankruptcy, usually tries to merge with successful companies in order to save his business.
□Note: If you were already losing your company, would you merge your company with a successful one or would you rather declare bankruptcy?
6. engage noun (en-geyj)
to involve someone in something
■Example: Teachers should always engage their students in a good conversation to improve their speaking skills.
□Note: “engage in small talk” means to talk about simple and unimportant topics
7. overtake verb (oh-ver-teyk)
to move or develop faster compared to something else
■Example: The Philippines have slowly overtaken different countries in the field of teaching English.
□Note: ORIGIN and HISTORY – early 13c., from over + take (verb), which means to come up to, to catch in pursuit
8. retain verb (ri-teyn)
to continue holding or having something
■Example: Mothers can retain the custody of a child whose age ranges from 0 – 7.
□Note: ORIGIN and HISTORY- late 14c., from Old French retenir, from Latin retinere "hold back," from re- "back" (see re-) + tenere "to hold"
9. restore verb (ri-stawr)
to give back the original appearance or condition of something
■Example: Losing in a certain battle will surely ruin your self-esteem, but you must always restore your composure and confidence in order to move on and have a better life.
□Note: How do you restore your life after facing lots of difficulties?
10. beam verb (beem)
a ray of light that comes from shiny, bright objects
■Example: The student was day dreaming and so the teacher flashed a beam of light in the student’s eyes to get his attention.
□Note: “A beam in one’s eye” is an idiom which refers to a fault that is greater in oneself than in another person.
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_____________ 1. to move from one place, region or country to another
_____________ 2. a ray of light that comes from shiny, bright objects
_____________ 3. to give back the original appearance or condition of something
_____________ 4. to continue holding or having something
_____________ 5. to move or develop faster compared to something else
_____________ 6. an assurance that something will be done if a certain situation or condition has been met
_____________ 7. to join or combine two things in order to be one
_____________ 8. to involve someone in something
_____________ 9. to make use of something in order to fulfill a specific goal; to carry out a plan to achieve something
_____________ 10. to be noticed, to exist, to happen
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Each government must prevent the breakout of terrorism to promote tourism. Terrorism _______ from different religions, personalities, perspectives and ideologies.
2. People who are not satisfied with their earnings usually ______ to another developing country in order to get a higher salary. Therefore, the government should focus on employment with good compensation to keep citizens from moving to another country.
3. The management hired employees outside the company to design and carry out new strategic plans to improve the company’s profitability. The new strategic plans will be ________ within a year to check whether the company’s profitability has improved or not.
4. Rain’s Digital Shop provides a two-year ________ to all customers who will have a total purchase of $1,500 in one transaction. Customers are assured of having two-years of free service, repair and replacement.
5. Human Resource Managers must hire qualified applicants to fill certain positions in the company and must _______ them for a long time. However, it is not an easy job to make an employee stay at a company for there are so many internal and external factors to consider in doing so.
6. If two countries combine, both will benefit economically for there will be a larger market for businesses. If Pakistan and India _____, both countries would benefit although Pakistan is poorer than India.
7. Passing another vehicle when driving is a very dangerous. However, ______ needs to be mastered to avoid being stuck on a congested road.
8. Muslims wish to change how other religious groups perceive them. Islamic groups from different parts of the world are doing their best to ______ peace around the world.
9. It is mesmerizing to see a ray of light that shines from the sun. Some people believe that a _____ of light means hope.
10. If you want to improve your speaking skills, it is very effective to involve yourself in a daily conversation. An English teacher must encourage a student to ______ himself in a conversation for at least 30 minutes every day.