16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
30: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 30
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to scatter trash in public places, which displays untidiness
■Example: Singapore is well-known for its cleanliness and orderliness. In Singapore, a “No Littering Law” is being strictly implemented.
□Note: Is it illegal to litter in your country? What is the punishment if someone litters?
2. dump verb (duhmp)
to throw away garbage; to carelessly drop or get rid of something or someone
■Example: Dumping someone can ruin someone’s life.
□Note: Have you ever dumped someone before?
3. flock noun (flok)
a group of people, things or animals
■Example: A flock of investors were invited to our company to develop its profitability.
□Note: The word flock originates from the Old English flocc, which means a group of persons, company, troop, etc.
4. highlight verb (hahy-lahyt)
to pay attention to or put emphasis on something important
■Example: The government should highlight the effect of global warming to prevent it.
□Note: Think of 5 ways that should be highlighted to solve the problem of global warming.
5. monitor verb (mon-i-ter)
to watch or observe a particular operation or thing
■Example: People should monitor their weight to avoid becoming obese.
□Note: How do you monitor your health?
6. analyze verb (an-l-ahyz)
to examine something to come up with better ideas, solutions or things
■Example: Analyzing one’s performance at work is a good work habit.
□Note: How do you analyze your performance at work/school?
7. seize verb (sees)
to grasp, hold, or keep something quickly and suddenly
■Example: People should seize every opportunity that comes their way.
□Note: This word also means ‘to grab something suddenly’.
8. dominate verb (dom-uh-neyt)
to demonstrate authority, power or control over someone
■Example: Smart people can always dominate a conversation.
□Note: ORIGIN and HISTORY- from the Latin word dominatus, past participle of dominari, which means ‘to rule, dominate, to govern’
9. donate verb (doh-neyt)
to help someone by giving money or food.
■Example: If I were rich, I would donate a lot of money to help poor people.
□Note: Is giving a donation common in your county? Explain.
10. discipline verb (dis-uh-plin)
to behave properly and accordingly even in difficult situations
■Example: People with discipline can succeed in life.
□Note: How can you tell that someone possesses discipline?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_____________ 1. to grasp, hold, or keep something quickly and suddenly
_____________ 2. to demonstrate authority, power or control over someone
_____________ 3. to help someone by giving money or food
_____________ 4. to behave properly and accordingly even in difficult situations
_____________ 5. to scatter trash in public places, which displays untidiness
_____________ 6. to throw away garbage; to carelessly drop or get rid of something or someone
_____________ 7. a group of people, things or animals
_____________ 8. to pay attention to or put emphasis on something important
_____________ 9. to watch or observe a particular operation or thing
_____________ 10. to examine something to come up with better ideas, solutions or things
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Throwing your trash anywhere is absolutely unaccepted when you are trying to promote tourism. Therefore, there should be a severe punishment for someone who _______ to ensure cleanliness and orderliness in a specific area.
2. People should not carelessly throw away their waste just anywhere for this will cause harmful damage to the environment. Therefore, the government should teach each citizen how to properly ______ their waste, thus promoting recycling.
3. A large group of tourists in a certain country should be satisfied by the country's beauty. If a ____ of blogs and letters would spread out all over the world from those mesmerized tourists, promoting tourism would be easier.
4. There are so many economic problems that a government should pay attention to. However, the government must _____________ the solution to each problem rather than focusing on the problem.
5. Parents should watch their children's performance at school because teachers can not __________ all their students at the same time.
6. The government must always examine the result of the implementation of new policies. If the government doesn't _____ the said result, the effectivity of a certain policy can't be determined.
7. An employee should not be stuck in one position for a long time. If there's an offer for a higher position and a better salary, he must _____ the opportunity. Remember, opportunity knocks only once so make sure you grab it.
8. Wise people with principles don't let anyone control their lives. Nobody should ________someone else's life.
9. Religious organizations are spreading the word of God. Some members of the group give money, food and gifts to support the missions of the group while others _______ even if they don't belong to the said organization.
10. Parents teach their children to show good manners and right conduct in whatever situation they are in. It is the teachers' duty to ensure that children show _________.