16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
32: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 32
Part 1: Vocabulary words
a specific disorder that is characterized by a group of symptoms
■Example: People should give special treatment and attention to someone with a specific syndrome.
□Note: Do you know anyone who has a syndrome? What kind of syndrome is it?
2. Precaution noun [pri-kaw-shuhn]
to prevent something bad or unpleasant from happening by taking advance safety measures
■Example: Doctors will always say that precaution is better than a cure.
□Note: Name some precautions that you have taken to keep yourself healthy.
3. Petition noun [trahy-uh l, trahyl]
a document with the name and the number of people who are making a demand from someone in authority
■Example: Employees, who were suffering from the cruelty of their CEO, signed a petition against the CEO’s unlawful management.
□Note: Have you ever signed a petition against something that was unjust?
4. Fortune noun [fawr-chuhn]
a person’s disposition in life that is determined by wealth and other material possessions
■Example: After all this hard work, I know that a good fortune awaits me.
□Note: Give some tips on how to get good fortune.
5. Sector noun [sek-ter]
a specific area or division of the country’s national economic activities
■Example: The private sector has invested in the educational programs in this rural area.
□Note: Can you name some sectors in your country?
6. Consensus noun [kuhn-sen-suhs]
a general opinion or decision made by the majority of the group
■Example: Consensus decision making is necessary when implementing new policies.
□Note: How important is having a consensus in an organization?
7. Reminder noun [ri-mahyn-der]
a note or a message that causes someone to remember something
■Example: Thoughtful parents will always give you lots of reminders.
□Note: When was the last time you gave someone a reminder?
8. Token noun [toh-kuhn]
a sign, proof or indicator showing your feelings or intentions
■Example: We would like to give this token of gratitude to all of you, who have contributed a lot to the productivity of this department.
□Note: To whom would you like to give a token of appreciation? Why?
9. Ease verb [eez]
to free someone from pain, annoyance, difficulties, anxieties, etc.
■Example: I would do anything to ease your pain just to make you feel better.
□Note: What do you do to ease the pain you are feeling?
10. Innovation noun [in-uh-vey-shuhn]
the act of introducing new ideas, techniques or methods
■Example: She has shown her great innovation, which will contribute to the development of technology.
□Note: Can you name some recent innovations in your country?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
___________1. To prevent something bad or unpleasant from happening by taking advance
___________ 2. A note or a message that causes someone to remember something
___________ 3. A general opinion or decision made by the majority of the group
___________ 4. A sign, proof or indicator showing your feelings or intentions
___________ 5. A person’s disposition in life that is determined by wealth and other material possessions
____________6. The act of introducing new ideas, techniques or methods
___________ 7. To free someone from pain, annoyance, difficulties, anxieties, etc
___________ 8. A specific area or division of the country’s national economic activities
___________ 9. A document with the name and the number of people who are making a demand from someone in authority
___________ 10. A specific disorder that is characterized by a group of symptoms
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Our economy has been suffering from a recession for almost 10 years now; therefore, new ideas and methods of how to recover from such acrisis should be considered. If the government can think of some ________, there might be some changes in the country's economic growth.
2. Parents will always be worried and anxious about their children, especially when they are not beside them. As children, we should always remember that our parents' minds will only be at ___________ if we will assure them that we will always be safe.
3. The ABC Company has given some expensive watches to retired employees, who have served the company for more than 25 years. Such a ___________ of appreciation will always be valued by the retired employees.
4. Losing your most precious job despite all your hard work is indeed very frustrating. You feel sorrow every time you remember all your hard work that hasn't been valued by your employers. On the contrary, such a _____ will motivate you to do better in your future job to show them what your true worth is.
5. Public and private sectors have reached a decision on how to battle recession. The general __________ is to attract more foreign investors to establish and run their businesses here.
6. The banks, manufacturing companies and other divisions working on the financial stability of the country are facing difficulties due to the recession. As a result, there are many private _______ who are planning to invest in the country to help fight the economic crisis.
7. People work extremely hard to achieve a certain disposition in life, where they can have an ample amount of money and material possessions. However, success should not only be defined by how great your ___________ is.
8. They say that employers are powerful and employees are weak, but if employees would work together, they could demand something from the authority. Through a _________, employees' voices can be heard and will never be ignored.
9. We can't stop typhoons from hitting our country, but people can take some necessary _________ to avoid food shortages and infrastructure damages. Preventing something unpleasant from happening is the best way to face natural calamities such as floods.
10. Scientists study the symptoms of a certain disorder to come up with a suitable treatment to avoid having such a __________. In this way, people will not fear having a child with a specific disorder.