16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
04: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 4
Part 1: Vocabulary words
interested in and responsive to others; friendly; sociable
■Example: Having an outgoing personality helps one get along with different types of people.
□Note: Do you know of any person who is outgoing?
2. Durable adjective (door-uh-buhl, dyoor-)
able to resist wear, decay, etc., well; lasting; enduring.
■Example: Most fake products are not made from durable materials and are easily broken.
□Note: Alternative words for “durable” are “sturdy” and “long-lasting”.
3. Populous adjective (pop-yuh-luhs)
full of residents or inhabitants, as a region
■Example: Because of its high birth rate, India could become the most populous country in the future.
□Note: The noun form of this word is “populace”, which refers to people in general considered as a whole; “populous” means densely populated.
4. Adhesive adjective (ad-hee-siv, -ziv) coated with glue, paste, or other sticky substances
■Example: Adhesive bandages are commonly used in hospitals to control skin wound bleeding.
□Note: What other adhesive things do you know of?
5. Binding adjective (bahyn-ding)
having the power to bind or oblige
■Example: A peace treaty is binding between signatory countries, thus preventing them from engaging in war against each other.
□Note: What are some of the legally binding agreements in your country?
6. Delirious adjective (dih-leer-ee-uhs)
wild with excitement, enthusiasm, etc.
■Example: He was delirious with joy at the news that the Nadeshiko team won.
□Note: This word is not to be confused with “delirium”, which is a state of excitement and mental confusion, often accompanied by hallucinations.
7. Furry adjective (fur-ee)
covered with fur
■Example: Many furry animals are in danger of becoming extinct because poachers kill them for their expensive fur.
□Note: What furry animals do you know of that are in danger of becoming extinct?
8. Irreversible adjective (ir-i-vur-suh-buhl)
incapable of being changed
■Example: Most scientists believe that global warming is irreversible no matter how we preserve our environment.
□Note: The prefix “ir-”means “not”; so “irreversible” literally means “not reversible”.
9. Outright adjective (out-rahyt)
complete or total
■Example: The president was ousted because of continually telling outright lies to his people.
□Note: This word can be used as an adverb to mean ‘without restraint or concealment’ (e.g. Please tell me outright what’s troubling you.)
10. Sly adjective (slahy)
having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature
■Example: The sly fox was able to capture the rabbit.
□Note: The idiom “sly as a fox” may refer negatively to the nature of a person getting what he wants in a deceitful way.(e.g. Don't trust him because he's as sly as a fox).
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_____________ 1. having the power to bind or oblige
_____________ 2. full of residents or inhabitants, as a region
_____________ 3. covered with fur
_____________ 4. able to resist wear, decay, etc., well; lasting; enduring.
_____________ 5. interested in and responsive to others; friendly; sociable
_____________ 6. having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature
_____________ 7. complete or total
_____________ 8. incapable of being changed
_____________ 9. coated with glue, paste, or other sticky substances
_____________ 10. wild with excitement, enthusiasm, etc.
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. For one to enter into a legally_________ contract to buy stocks from our company, he/she must be over 20 years of age.
2. Animals with _________ skins are usually resistant to cold temperatures. However, they might have a difficult time adjusting when exposed to high temperatures.
3. He is so _________ and tricky that he has a knack for slipping in and out of places unnoticed. That’s why he has evaded the police officers for over a decade now.
4. She and her husband were _________ over the news that they are going to have a baby. They immediately surfed the internet to look for the best name for their unborn child.
5. Genuine products, as compared to counterfeits, are usually _________. This is why many people prefer buying them even though they are a lot more expensive than the fake ones.
6. You’ve got to admit that what you have done is unforgiveable and ____________ disrespectful. Now, if you still want to save your relationship with your wife’s parents, you’d better go to their house, admit your faults and apologize sincerely.
7. Greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane, as well as human activities like burning of fossil fuel and tropical deforestation, bring about ____________ damage to the Earth.
8. There were numerous reports of various kinds of crimes that have happened in that ___________ neighborhood. The police force has been strengthening its combat against them through stringent check points.
9. Truly, electoral candidates who already have experience in politics already have an edge over the others. However, inexperienced ones use their ______________ personalities to win the hearts of the people.
10. Antiseptic ointments, pain relievers, rubbing alcohol, gauze pads, ___________ bandages, antihistamine pills and hydrogen peroxide are some of the things that should be included in a first aid kit.