16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
40: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 40
Part 1: Vocabulary words
legal end or termination of a marriage
■Example: Since they’ve been struggling to save their marriage for five years now and they believe that everything has fall apart between the two of them, they’ve both decided to part ways and finally file for a divorce.
□Note: This word came from the Latin word divortium, which means separation.
2. Applicant noun [ap-li-kuh nt]
a person who is applying for a job or a request
■Example: The recruitment team was able to come up with only three successful applicants from a pool of 300.
□Note: If you’re a job applicant, what should you wear to a job interview?
3. Candidate noun [n. kan-di-deyt, -dit; v. kan-di-deyt]
a person seeking for a position, prize, etc.; contestant
■Example: Ms. Japan is the candidate that has the highest probability of winning the pageant according to the latest poll survey.
□Note: It comes from the wordcandidatus, which surprisingly means clothed in white.
4. Circuit noun [sur-kit]
a circular course, path or route
■Example: His car was just on stand-by when the multiple car collision on the circuit happened.
□Note: It comes from the Latin wordcircuitus, which means going around.
5. Irrigation noun [ir-i-gey-shuh n]
artificial water supply that is used to water crops
■Example: At last, the irrigation project that was started over a decade ago has finally been completed. The farmers were so elated to hear about such a convenience for their jobs.
□Note: What are the things that can affect irrigation?
6. Exposure noun [ik-spoh-zher]
the state of being uncovered, revealed
■Example: Exposure to radiation has a stochastic or long-term effect on a person’s health. Cancer is one perfect example of this.
□Note: What are the effects when skin has too much exposure to the sun?
7. Outbreak noun [out-breyk]
a sudden occurrence of something that is usually undesirable
■Example: The outbreak of the Ebola virus alarmed the health officials, catching them off-guard.
□Note: When was the last time there was an outbreak of violence in your country?
8. Likelihood noun [lahyk-lee-hoo d]
probability or chance
■Example: A pregnant mother’s unhealthy lifestyle may increase the likelihood of her child to have an abnormality.
□Note: How strong do you think is the likelihood that Japan will be able to solve the problem of a low natal rate and an aging population?
9. Blow noun [bloh]
an abrupt or sudden strike, attack or shock
■Example: The unexpected termination of Chris at work was undoubtedly a huge blow to their family, especially now that all his three children are in college.
□Note: What do you think is the worst blow that Japan has received in the last few years?
10. Suspicion noun [suh-spish-uh n]
the instance of thinking that there’s something wrong with someone or something without any proof; doubt
■Example: The photo of her husband’s tenderness to his female colleague proved all her suspicions of her husband’s infidelity to be true.
□Note: In certain situations, this word can mean hunch or intuition.
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. the state of being uncovered, revealed;
_______________ 2. a person seeking for a position, prize, etc.; contestant
_______________ 3. legal end or termination of a marriage
_______________ 4. an abrupt or sudden strike, attack or shock
_______________ 5. a sudden occurrence of something that is usually undesirable
_______________ 6. the instance of thinking that there’s something wrong with someone or something
without any proof; doubt
_______________ 7. a circular course, path or route
_______________ 8. a person who is applying for a job or a request
_______________ 9. probability or chance
_______________ 10. artificial water supply that is used to water crops
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. There is a ubiquitous advertisement spreading about all the good deeds that he has been doing for the typhoon victims. I am certain that there is a/an ______________ that he will run for the presidency in 2016.
2. It was said that the _____________of the American civil war was primarily caused by slavery that aggravated political tensions. A great deal of it arose from the Southern states’ withdrawal from the Union when they formed the Confederate States of America.
3. Women's rights activists were ecstatic about the decision to finally legalize_____________ in their country. For them, it's tantamount to giving women the freedom to be happy again after a failed marriage.
4. A special investigation was called for as the ________________of his co-lawmakers grew stronger and stronger. He was accused by them of using national funds to fend for the luxurious life of his family.
5. The prices of crops sky-rocketed when the strongest typhoon ever recorded hit the land and destroyed all the crops and ________________ systems beyond imaginable. They suppose that the rehabilitation of the farms' water supply would take some time to be completed.
6. The candidates for the managerial post in our department were truly competent and competitive. I think the company won't hesitate in offering the successful ______________a good compensation package.
7. Her daughter's _______________to the liberated life of American youths drastically affected her values. This was exactly the reason why they brought her back to Japan to take her away from bad environmental and social influences.
8. The survey results show that Mr. Ace is the number one _______________for presidency in the upcoming election. The Election Day is two months from now so even though he's the toughest contender by far, we still can't predict the outcome yet.
9. To everyone's surprise, the toughest boxer of this generation was knocked out when he received a _______________right on his jaw. It was indeed one of the strongest and most devastating hits ever in the history of boxing.
10. When she got married, her husband gave her a ticket for a motorcycle race as a wedding gift. She was very shocked because she is an avid fan of racers, and she enjoys watching motorcycle races so much, but she has never seen an actual race in a racing ___________.