16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
41: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 41
Part 1: Vocabulary words
[suh b-mish-uh n]
the act of giving something such as documents, reports, applications, etc.
■Example: Before you start working on your research, make sure you ask your professor about the deadline for its submission.
□Note: What will happen if you fail to meet the deadline for the submission of your project/work assignment?
2. Proportion noun [pruh-pawr-shuh n]
balance; the correct relationship between the parts of the whole
■Example: When cooking a dish, it is important to have a proper proportion between salt and sugar.
□Note: Is it possible to have a good proportion between rich and poor people? How?
3. Strategy noun [strat-i-jee]
a plan, technique or method used in achieving or reaching a goal
■Example: The government officials must develop a very effective strategy to solve the issue of bullying since its rate is rapidly increasing.
□Note: What is your strategy for mastering the English language?
4. Capacity noun [kuh-pas-i-tee]
the potential or ability of someone to understand, learn, perform etc.
■Example: Her earning capacity is being questioned due to her poor health condition.
□Note: Rate your capacity for work, 1 – 10, 10 being the highest. Explain why.
5. Debt noun [det]
something that a person owes, most especially money
■Example: You have to learn to manage your finances to avoid having debts.
□Note: What do you think of people who have huge debts?
6. Venture noun [ven-cher]
a new plan or activity with uncertain results
■Example: I want to try a rock-climbing venture and enjoy the beauty of our nature.
□Note: What kind of business venture would you like to have?
7. Participation noun [pahr-tis-uh-pey-shuh n]
the act of being involved in something
■Example: Without the employees’ participation, the company would not be as successful as it is now.
□Note: Compare the participation of the old and young generations in the development of the country’s economy.
8. Breakthrough noun [breyk-throo]
a very important development, advancement, or achievement that removes something that hampers progress
■Example: We owe this breakthrough to our researchers who have worked so hard to come up with a cure for cancer.
□Note: What kind of breakthrough are you dreaming of? Why?
9. Requirement noun [ri-kwahyuh r-muh nt]
something necessary that you must do or something you are obliged to do
■Example: A Doctorate is a requirement to become a professor at a university.
□Note:What are some of the requirements that you must submit when you enter a university?
10. Inquiry noun [in-kwuh-ree]
the act of asking questions to get some information about something; simply a question
■Example: A good manager can confidently answer all the inquiries of his subordinates.
□Note: What are some of your inquiries about your government?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. a plan, technique or method used in achieving or reaching a goal
_______________ 2. a new plan or activity with uncertain results
_______________ 3. a very important development, advancement, or achievement that removes something
that hampers progress
_______________ 4. the potential of someone to understand, learn, perform, etc.
_______________ 5. the act of being involved in something
_______________ 6. the act of giving something such as documents, reports, applications, etc.
_______________ 7. something necessary that you must do or something you are obliged to do
_______________ 8. something that a person owes, most especially money
_______________ 9. the act of asking questions to get some information about something
_______________ 10. balance; the correct relationship between the parts of the whole
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The researchers have gathered all the information and done the experimentation necessary to come up with their final conclusion. All the reports are ready for _________________ to the head of the research team.
2. The advancement of technology benefits a lot of people, most especially in terms of convenience. The smart watch is another ___________ in technology which will be helpful to people who use their mobile phone very often.
3. People might have higher risks of having lots of ___________ if they start being addicted to gambling. Therefore, gambling should be regulated by the government to keep people from borrowing money.
4. Studying English has become significant for non-native English speakers. Therefore, many businessmen are trying to have business ____________ related to online English lessons.
5. A French man has thought of a good _______ for how to get a good job. He decided to put his curriculum vitae on a giant billboard and got an incredibly high-paying job ten days after doing so.
6. The number of single women is increasing and one of the reasons is that women tend to consider the earning ______________ of their prospective husband. Most certainly, a man’s financial status and earning ability are important factors to take into account.
7. Due to the increase in bullying cases in Japan, many private organizations have made lots of campaigns against bullying. They are asking for the __________ of parents, teachers and students to successfully stop bullying.
8. Most Japanese are aiming to pass EIKEN Pre Grade 1 because it is a/an ________________ if you want to work in a big and stable company. In addition to this, you will have better opportunities once you pass it.
9. Some government officials were accused of corruption and so the first ___________ of the Filipinos is how the President would address the situation to finally put an end to it. Unfortunately, that’s a question that yet remains unanswered.
10. There are so many unemployed people because the ____________ between job applicants and job vacancies is not equal. The number of people looking for a job is much higher than the number of available jobs.