16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
45: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 45
Part 1: Vocabulary words
compassion shown toward an enemy
■Example: Mercy triumphs over judgment.
□Note: Have you shown mercy to another person?
2. Organism noun [awr-guh-niz-uh m]
a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes
■Example: A bacteria is a single-celled organism that lives in the body.
□Note: How can organisms live together in harmony?
3. Possession noun [puh-zesh-uh n]
■Example: She has possession of the car keys.
□Note: What is your most valuable possession?
4. Ration noun [rash-uh n ]
a fixed allowance of provisions
■Example: Ration coupons were given to control portions given to the people after the war.
□Note: Do you remember a time when a ration was imposed?
5. Readership noun [ree-der-ship]
a group of people who read a particular book, magazine, or other publications
■Example: The readership of newspapers decreased significantly because of the internet.
□Note: How important is the readership to publishing companies?
6. Script noun [skript]
letters or characters used in writing by hand
■Example: The webmaster inserts a Java script into certain websites.
□Note: Is script writing still popular in the computer age?
7. Terrain noun [tuh-reyn]
a track of land considered with reference to its natural features
■Example: An example of terrain is a rocky and jagged coastline.
□Note: What type of terrain do you live on?
8. Upbringing noun [uhp-bring-ing]
a particular type of caring and training of young children
■Example: His religious upbringing prepared him to be a missionary.
□Note: What is the most important advice you can give for upbringing a child?
9. Well-being noun [wel-bee-ing]
a good condition of existence
■Example: The president set a good example to influence the well-being of the nation and its people.
□Note: Is your well-being good or bad?
10. Genetic adjective [juh-net-ik]
relating to the origins of things
■Example: Genetic modification can also overcome species barriers, allowing genes to be used in various ways.
□Note: Do you believe in genetic traits?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital
_______________ 2. a particular type of caring and training of young children
_______________ 3. relating to the origins of things
_______________ 4. a group of people who read a particular book, magazine, or other publications
_______________ 5. compassion shown toward an enemy
_______________ 6. ownership
_______________ 7. a track of land considered with reference to its natural features
_______________ 8. letters or characters used in writing by hand
_______________ 9. a fixed allowance of provisions
_______________ 10. a condition of existence
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Citizens were given ____________ coupons to control the amount of goods sold and theinflation of prices in the market. Growing fear and anxiety caused the start of BlackMarkets where extra goods were sold illegally.
2. Thousands of prisoners crowding in the jail were freed after amnesty was signed. The president granted ___________, preventing the execution of many of the prisoners and allowed them to safely board the awaiting ships for a passage to their homeland.
3. Poverty and isolation challenged Katniss to provide food for her family. She trekked the forest in search of game in order to insure the ____________ of her family by acquiring their daily sustenance.
4. The human _____________ make up was uncovered over a 13 year period by mapping out DNA in 2003. It allowed scientists to know parts of the body and their relation to their DNA coding.
5. Justin was arrested by the police for speeding in a residential neighborhood in Miami. He was later charged with ____________ of drugs after they were found inside the car during a police search.
6. The jagged __________ and extreme temperatures of the Himalayas has proven to be quite a challenge for many climbers. After many expeditions to reach the summit of Mount Everest, it was only in 1953 that a British climber, Sir Edmund Hillary, finally reached the top.
7. Providing a good __________ is essential for raising well-behaved children. A solid, balanced foundation of love, education, and social understanding must be taught to ensure a healthy maturity and ultimately social conscious adults.
8. A symbiotic _____________ must live together with another organism for survival. The two help each other in tasks such as cleaning, hunting, and eating in order to continue living.
9. The magazine publications are on a decline as _______________ has decreased due to the boom of online publications. Therefore, many media companies have started to join the trend by creating applications for their magazines.
10. Johannes Gutenberg invented the immovable types, which were letters in blocks used to stamp words on paper. It revolutionized copying because __________ writing took a very long time to do.