16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
46: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 46
Part 1: Vocabulary words
not allowed by the law; informal
■Example: He is an illegal alien living in the country.
□Note: How do you report an illegal alien living in your country?
2. Eventually adverb [ih-ven-choo-uh-lee]
at some time later
■Example: Eventually we will own the house free and clear.
□Note: Did you turn in your homework eventually after it was late?
3. Experienced adjective [ik-speer-ee-uh nst]
wise and skillful in a particular field through practice
■Example: She worked for 25 years thus becoming an experienced teacher.
□Note: Are you experienced at something?
4. Regularly adverb [ik-speer-ee-uh nst]
usually; done at regular intervals
■Example: The dress is regularly $45, but it is now on sale for $30.
□Note: What do you regularly do everyday?
5. Radioactive adjective [rey-dee-oh-ak-tiv]
caused by a property of certain elements of emitting radiation resulting from charges in the nuclei of atoms of the element
■Example: There is no safe way of disposing of nuclear waste, which can stay radioactive for 100,000 years.
□Note: Are you interested in watching science shows about radioactive elements?
6. Overall adverb [oh-ver-awl]
from one extreme limit of a thing to the other
■Example: Can you tell me the overall length of the bridge?
□Note: Do you know the overall area of your house?
7. Synthetic adjective [sin-thet-ik]
pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origins
■Example: It is not plant based, being purely synthetic.
□Note: What are some synthetic items you use every day?
8. Ironically adverb [ahy-ron-i-kuh lee]
characterized by mockery
■Example: Her sarcastic comments were followed by her smiling ironically.
□Note: Ironically, have you ever been in the right place at the wrong time?
9. Relatively adverb [rel-uh-tiv-lee]
in comparison to something else
■Example: The difference in height was relatively small between the ages of 5 and 6.
□Note: What are some relatively minor offenses you have made in your life?
10. Vital adjective [vahyt-l]
pertaining to life
■Example: The flow of blood is a vital process for humans to live.
□Note: Name some vital things you need to do before graduating from high school.
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. characterized by mockery
_______________ 2. from one extreme limit of a thing to the other
_______________ 3. pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origins
_______________ 4. wise and skillful in a particular field through practice
_______________ 5. not allowed by the law; informal
_______________ 6. usually
_______________ 7. at some time later
_______________ 8. in comparison to something else
_______________ 9. caused by a property of certain elements of emitting radiation resulting from charges in
the nuclei of atoms of the element
_______________ 10. pertaining to life
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. They jeered and laughed at one particular girl walking around in a weird dress. Sarah and her friends bought a fashion magazine after school and _________ inside the magazine there were pictures of the same dress the girl wore today in school.
2. Larry’s interior decorator wanted to know the ______________ area of his living room for the multi-million dollar renovation. The length was 10 meters long and 10 meters wide. He concluded that the living room is in the shape of a square with a 100 sqm floor area.
3. Emily’s project requires her to create something from raw materials endemic to her country. She began to weave straws and sprayed it with a coating of ______________ glue to prevent the straws from coming apart.
4. Professor Blake taught at O’Hare University for 25 years before retiring at the age of 65. He is considered by many to be an _____________ educator because of his pioneering work in the transformation of the school to an exemplary institution.
5. The sign stated “No Turn on Red” but Marco made a right turn because he was in a hurry to get home after the light changed to red. The policeman tapped his window and gave him a ticket for a/an __________ turn at the stop light.
6. Mike was feeling under the weather so he decided to take a trip to the doctor last week to check his _________ organs. The doctor recommended plenty of rest, a healthy diet, and for him to see him again in 2 weeks.
7. April 15 is the last day to file taxes in America. Americans __________ file their taxes so the government can use the taxes to pay for programs such as education, health, and security.
8. Chloe, age 2 years and 3 months, is 65cm while Audrey, age 2 years, is 64cm. Their height difference is __________ the same due to the fact that they are only 3 months apart in age.
9. Area 51 is a highly secured government bunker constructed to store _____________ materials and to protect valuable scientific information. The chemicals are highly hazardous, requiring scientists to wear custom-made uniforms and to proceed with caution.
10. _____________, Sofia will continue to finish the remaining questions on her homework. She was suddenly side tracked after hearing the musical introduction to her favorite show; she then suddenly took off to watch the television in the living room.