16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
47: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 47
Part 1: Vocabulary words
going beyond the usual proper limit
■Example: The angry mob made excessive charges against the deposed president.
□Note: Have you ever made excessive purchases during Christmas?
2. Cooperative adjective [koh-op-er-uh-tiv]
working or acting together willingly for a common purpose
■Example: The community was cooperative in trying to rebuild the church after a massive fire.
□Note: Were you a cooperative student in school?
3. Efficient adjective [ih-fish-uh nt]
performing in the best possible manner with the least waste of time
■Example: She was a reliable, efficient assistant to the president so she was given a plaque of appreciation when she decided to resign.
□Note: How can you be more efficient at work?
4. Vulnerable adjective [vuhl-ner-uh-buh l]
susceptible to being hurt
■Example: A baby’s head is a vulnerable part of the body; that’s why carrying them with extreme care is of utmost importance.
□Note: What parts of your body are vulnerable?
5. Alternative noun [awl-tur-nuh-tiv]
a choice limited to one of two or more possibilities
■Example: You have the alternative of singing, dancing, or acting in the play.
□Note: What are the alternative modes of transportation?
6. Stable noun [stey-buh l]
a building for the lodging of animals
■Example: The farm had a stable for horses and another for cows.
□Note: What other animals can live in a stable?
Adjective: steady or able to last
■Example: A stable job is much more preferable than a high-paying one.
7. Vast adjective [vahst]
of very great area
■Example: The land was so vast that it was impossible to see where it ended.
□Note: How vast is your knowledge?
8. Beneficial adjective [ben-uh-fish-uh l]
■Example: Taking vitamin C is beneficial to your immune system.
□Note: What are the beneficial effects of sunshine to plants?
9. Nomadic adjective [noh-mad-ik]
people with no permanent homes
■Example: The Indians were nomadic people as they followed the herds of buffalo.
□Note: Do you agree with nomadic lifestyles?
10. Harsh adjective [hahrsh]
ungentle and unpleasant in action
■Example: Chemicals can leave harsh reactions on sensitive skin.
□Note: What are some harsh words that people say?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. performing in the best possible manner with the least waste of time
_______________ 2. advantageous
_______________ 3. a choice limited to one of two or more possibilities
_______________ 4. going beyond the usual proper limit
_______________ 5. working or acting together willingly for a common purpose
_______________ 6. a building for the lodging of animals
_______________ 7. ungentle and unpleasant in action
_______________ 8. susceptible to being hurt
_______________ 9. people with no permanent homes
_______________ 10. of very great area
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. In the early hours of the day, the residents of Tacloban, Philippines took action to start the clean-up process of their destroyed city. The international community in collaboration with the Philippine government and its people took _____________ actions in the rebuilding process.
2. Marsha was busily typing her English paper until a strong bolt of lightning struck and blew out the power. Her father brought out his collegiate typewriter as an ____________ for typing her essay which was due the following day.
3. The family packed up their tents and proceeded to drive away from the campground to continue on their cross country journey. Their ___________ lifestyle allowed them to sojourn from one location to another in pursuit of a new environment.
4. The assembly line was developed by Henry Ford in the 19th century, allowing the factory workers to construct a new car with generalized parts in 8 hours. The ____________ production of cars made them affordable to consumers.
5. The young socialite had a/an _____________ show of wealth by wearing glittering diamonds and a designer dress worth $50,000 to the party. Her multi-millionaire father often showered her with fancy items as a way to bring happiness to the spoiled girl.
6. The organic farm grows many fruits and vegetables without the assistance of chemicals. Instead,fertilizers from animals inside the __________ are hauled out daily to be used to fertilize the plants and ultimately lessen the amount of chemicals that seep into the soil and drain in the water ways.
7. Laura left the room crying and in a fit of rage after her boss fired her from her job of 15 years. She was crying not from the loss of her job but because of the __________ words her boss used to describe the way she handled her job in the last two months.
8. It would be _____________ for the company to look into diversifying its investments to expand its growth and wealth. This would help generate a strong interest among other investors in buying its stocks.
9. After her sudden break-up with her boyfriend of 10 years, Anita went on a vacation with her best friend. She felt too ____________ to continue working at the office that she shared with her former boyfriend because she would have to endure seeing him every day.
10. Sharon got inside her car to start a 10-hour long drive across the _____________ Texas landscape. She was happy to return to her hometown after 25 years of working in the city, even though it is in the middle of nowhere.