16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
48: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 48
Part 1: Vocabulary words
easily affected by external influences
■Example: Her friends made sure not to upset Hannah’s sensitive feelings after the death of her dog.
□Note: Does watching dramatic movies give you a sensitive feeling?
2. Fragile adjective [fraj-uh l]
■Example: The fragile doll is made of glass.
□Note: What fragile objects do you own?
3. Remarkable adjective [ri-mahr-kuh-buh l]
■Example: The young lady has remarkable purple eyes instead of the normal brown or blue.
□Note: Name some remarkable things you have seen in your life.
4. Radical adjective [rad-i-kuh l]
a change from a traditional form to an extreme one
■Example: They dyed their hair a radical color of pink from its original black color.
□Note: Describe a radical movement you were a member of.
5. Enormous adjective [ih-nawr-muh s]
exceeding the common size, shape, or amount
■Example: The enormous coat swallowed her small frame.
□Note: Have you ever received an enormous gift?
6. Minimal adjective [min-uh-muh l]
the least possible
■Example: Her minimal work ethics earned her a C average in school.
□Note: What are the minimal hours of TV that you watch?
7. Ultimately adjective [uhl-tuh-mit]
ending a series
■Example: After 10 years of partnership, they ultimately ended it after a big fight.
□Note: How have you ultimately ended a long term relationship?
8. Reluctant adjective [ri-luhk-tuh nt]
■Example: He was reluctant to take the job because of its numerous responsibilities.
□Note: What activities would you be reluctant to do?
9. Domestic adjective [duh-mes-tik]
pertaining to the home
■Example: Some of their mom’s domestic pleasures were baking and cooking.
□Note: Do you share in your family’s domestic chores?
10. Biological adjective [bahy-uh-loj-i-kuh l]
using the science of life or living in scientific tests
■Example: A biological test was conducted to find out if humans were allergic to some chemicals.
□Note: What is your stance on biological testing on animals?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. ending a series
_______________ 2. notably unusual
_______________ 3. using the science of life or living in scientific tests
_______________ 4. unwilling
_______________ 5. easily affected by external influences
_______________ 6. a change from a traditional form to an extreme one
_______________ 7. the least possible
_______________ 8. easily damaged
_______________ 9. exceeding the common size, shape, or amount
_______________ 10. pertaining to the home
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Her __________ efforts with a lack of studying and care placed her 5th out of 8 competitors in the National Spelling Bee Championship. She vowed to try again next year with a greater degree of determination.
2. The scientific findings concluded that ___________ matter can exists in an environment as extreme as Antarctica. This led to numerous expeditions to recover small organisms living in the waters of the frigid and frozen land mass.
3. The __________ object, which was thousands of years in age and was considered by many as a priceless artifact from antiquity, was moved with great care. They did not want to break it due to its historical value.
4. Dillon was welcomed by his hometown with a parade and a key to the city for his ____________ achievements in space. His small hometown of 100 residents was literally placed on the map as the home of the greatest space explorer in the world.
5. My mother’s daily __________ labors give our house a warm, comfortable feel due to her diligence to keep it clean. Many have marveled about the daily scent of freshly baked cookies emanating from the kitchen welcoming visitors and making them feel at home.
6. Michael proposed to Lindsey with a/an _____________ pink teddy bear carrying a red jewelery box in the palm of its hands. The ring was a family heirloom, which originally was given to his great-grandmother from his great-grandfather.
7. Mary cannot walk outside without sunglasses because the bright rays from the sun make her eyes tear up. She feels very uncomfortable about her highly ___________ eyes, causing her to stay indoors during the day and have extremely busy evenings.
8. Guns were fired and the police were sent to clear the streets from _________ citizens opposing the new government regime and its surprise win in the recent elections. Many believed candidates relied on numerous illegal votes, buying and altering the outcome of the election.
9. After a terrible car accident, Heather was ____________ to drive due to mental trauma. Her family helped her ease the anxiety by encouraging her to fight her fears and drive on remote roads where a small number of drivers are found.
10. Losing by 50 points and with only 20 seconds left in the game, the season for the undefeated Warriors was ______________ cut short by a disappointing loss to their biggest rival. The winning team won all their playoff games and eventually, the championship.