16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
49: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 49
Part 1: Vocabulary words
[noo r-uh-loj-i-kuh l]
relating to the study and function of the nervous system and the diseases that affect them
■Example: Failure to play and pretend is a sign of a neurological problem.
□Note: Can you name some neurological problems that occur in other people?
2. Overly adverb [noo r-uh-loj-i-kuh l]
■Example: A voyage from Osaka to Tokyo is not overly long compared to a voyage from Tokyo to Manila.
□Note: Have you felt overly emotional over a certain issue?
3. Permanently adjective [pur-muh-nuh nt]
existing for a long time without any significant change
■Example: She was permanently diagnosed with diabetes after eating an abundant amount of sweets for many years.
□Note: Have you ever regretted doing something that stays on permanently?
4. Protective adjective [pruh-tek-tiv]
providing shelter or a cover from the elements
■Example: Wear protective gear when SCUBA diving to keep your body safe.
□Note: Why does the government impose a protective tariff on imported goods?
5. Regarding preposition [ri-gahr-ding]
■Example: He said nothing regarding the lost watch.
□Note: What are your opinions regarding global warming?
6. Specific adjective [spi-sif-ik]
having a special application or reference
■Example: It helps to look at culture instead of a specific country.
□Note: : Is there a specific subject you enjoyed in high school?
7. Hostile adjective [hos-tl]
pertaining to the characteristic of an enemy
■Example: Yet the hostile takeover under way here is not strictly mob related.
□Note: Has your country experienced a hostile take over during its history?
8. Deliberate adjective [dih-lib-er-it]
■Example: It is necessary to be informed in order to deliberate.
□Note: Do you deliberate when making important decisions?
9. Federal adjective [fed-er-uh l]
the nature of a union of states under a central government district from the individual governments of the separate states
■Example: Gambling is subjected to all federal laws.
□Note: Does having a federal government work in your country?
10. Secured adjective [si-kyoo rd]
not exposed to danger
■Example: Secure wallets, bags, and all valuables in a hotel safe before leaving the room.
□Note: Where do you feel most secure?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. providing shelter or a cover from the elements
_______________ 2. excessively
_______________ 3. careful consideration
_______________ 4. having a special application or reference
_______________ 5. not exposed to danger
_______________ 6. relating to the study and function of the nervous system and the diseases that affect
_______________ 7. the nature of a union of states under a central government district from the individual
governments of the separate states
_______________ 8. pertaining to the characteristic of an enemy
_______________ 9. concerning
______________ 10. existing for a long time without any significant change
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Some ______________ signs of aging are slowing reflexes and lethargic movements, which are caused by a delay in the sensing of brain waves. This can lead to weakness and other physical problems if the person lives a sedentary lifestyle.
2. Tensions are high in Syria as _______________ soldiers attack people in the streets and barge unannounced inside private homes. Many have braved the hazardous trek to neighboring countries and settled in refugee camps in hopes of escaping the violence.
3. Tattoos are ______________ drawn on the skin by continuous pricking of ink filled needles. The needles form pictures that have become a popular example of body art and self-expression.
4. After being stolen from the Louvre Museum in the 1900s, tougher security was placed on the priceless Mona Lisa by famed artist Leonardo da Vinci to make it more ___________. It is encased in a bullet proof frame with security personal around the area to ensure its longevity for the public to enjoy.
5. The American Revolution ended the ruling of a British monarch in 1776. A _____________ government chosen by its citizens to represent their area took the place of a king, allowing the voice of the people to be heard.
6. Christina has a passion for fashion as she is often seen wearing the finest clothes that are accessorized with ______________ done statement jewelry to attract major attention. It is from this passion that she launched her label to truly express her ever-evolving ideas about fashion.
7. Typhoon Haiyan was the strongest recorded typhoon to make landfall. Family members all over the world tried in vain to contact their loved ones to ask questions ____________ their safety because of downed power lines and the lack of electricity.
8. The United Nations continued peace talks between the two warring states to ___________ on a final peace treaty in hopes of ending the decades old conflict. In the eleventh hour, the two states agreed to surrender their arms and vowed for peace.
9. Carol wanted to purchase a ____________ doll for her daughter’s 10th birthday this Saturday. She made a dash to the counter right as the doors were being opened only to find out that the collector’s edition doll could only be purchased online.
10. Molly is a senior in high school with twin siblings who are entering freshmen. She possesses a _____________ nature over them as she guides them on their first day of school, showing them to their classrooms, and informing them about the rules and regulations.