16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
51: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 51
Part 1: Vocabulary words
[prahy-mair-uh-lee, -mer-, prahy-mer-uh-lee, -mer-uh-]
mainly or mostly
■Example: They couldn’t come up with a good conclusion for the discussion, primarily because nobody wanted to accept defeat in their arguments.
□Note: Primary is the adjective form of primarily.
2. Fake adjective [feyk]
not real; not genuine
■Example: All along he thought that the ring that his mother gave him was a fake one. Little did he know that the very stone he’s holding is the one that his ancestors have owned for centuries now.
□Note: Is it easy for you to know that the person you’re talking to is a ‘fake’?
3. Offensive adjective [uh-fen-siv or for 4, 5, aw-fen-, of-en-]
unpleasant to the point of being annoying and irritating
■Example: We had no idea that rejecting a food offer is offensive in their culture.
□Note: What are some offensive behaviors that are very much unacceptable in your society?
4. Indifferent adjective [prom-uh-nuh nt]
having the attitude of not minding or caring; neither interested nor concerned
■Example: Learn to raise your guard and be indifferent for you to not bear the pain of a broken heart.
□Note: Why do you think some people have become indifferent?
5. Prominent adjective [prom-uh-nuh nt]
outstanding or can be easily seen
■Example: Nelson Mandela is one of the most prominent figures in history who fought against apartheid.
□Note: Tell me a prominent historical person in your country.
6. Cautious adjective [kaw-shuh s]
careful or watchful
■Example: As they always say, it’s better to be cautious than sorry.
□Note: Do you consider yourself to be a cautious person?
7. Immediate adjective [ih-mee-dee-it]
fast or instant; done without any postponement or delay; direct
■Example: This problem requires immediate attention. If none will be given, the entire project might fail.
□Note: What would be your immediate reaction if you saw someone about to hit you?
8. Alert adjective [uh-lurt]
having keen and attentive mind and body
■Example: In times of impending calamity, everyone should be more alert in order to immediately respond to sudden changes in circumstances.
□Note: Are you always on alert for a possible adverse event?
9. Peculiar adjective
possessing strange characteristics that make something unique
■Example: When we reported our missing dog, we emphasized his peculiar physical features so that he’ll be more easily found.
□Note: The criminal was easily identified by the victim through the peculiar mark on his face. The victim was positive that he saw that strange scar on the man’s face even through moonlight.
10. Genuine adjective [jen-yoo-in]
real, authentic; sincere
■Example: He’s one of the few biggest stars in showbiz that wears a genuine smile all the time. That’s why he has always won the hearts of the masses.
□Note: How do you distinguish a genuine product from a fake one?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. possessing strange characteristics that make something unique
_______________ 2. having keen and attentive mind and body
_______________ 3. having the attitude of not minding or caring; neither interested nor concerned
_______________ 4. not real; not genuine
_______________ 5. real, authentic; sincere
_______________ 6. fast or instant; done without any postponement or delay
_______________ 7. careful or watchful
_______________ 8. mainly or mostly
_______________ 9. outstanding or can be easily seen
_______________ 10. unpleasant to the point of being annoying and irritating
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Woodpeckers are known to have ________________, strong and chisel-like bills. They use their special and unique bills in drilling trees for extracting food and for excavating their cavity nest.
2. It was undoubtedly a/an _______________decision made by the judge since he knows that he would be under fire if he did otherwise, not to mention the death threats he has received. I'm not sure if he just didn't have any choice or if he was just playing it safe.
3. I have learned that rice is _____________ the top agricultural product of Bangladesh. As a matter of fact, it is in negotiation with some companies in the Philippines to increase the production of their main crops.
4. If the soldiers had not been ________________, nobody would have survived the surprise offensive attack of the opponent. Luckily, they were trained to be always attentive, on guard, and responsive all the time, even when sleeping.
5. Even though Americans are known to be liberated thinkers, they still think Justin Bieber's misbehavior was ______________. It seems like they want him deported back to Canada because of his unruly actions.
6. The rest of the group and I attribute his _______________ personality to the hostile way his parents raised him. Thus, to change such an attitude, we are doing our best to provide him with a warm and caring environment.
7. The Bureau of Customs confiscated tons of ______________products that were secretly transported to the country's remotest port. According to reports, these counterfeit goods cost around $50000 and may badly hurt the industry.
8. Until now, Japanese people could still feel the direct aftermath of the shocking tsunami tragedy in 2011 on the country's economy. No one, not even economic analysts, can predict when Japan will be able to recover from that ________________adverse effect.
9. It is of utmost importance that minority groups be represented in _________________social and community groups for them to be recognized. Without those, their complaints and grievances will surely not be heard.
10. Jewelers and pawnbrokers are experts in distinguishing _______________ diamonds from fake ones. Some of the tests that they use to know whether the stone is real or not are the print test, the light test and the breath test.