17：英検対策1級（Eiken Grade 1）
33: Eiken Grade 1 Vocabularies Lesson 33
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to produce or encourage an emotion
■Example: It's impossible to muster a sizable enough coalition to challenge the status quo.
□Note: How do you muster up the courage to do something you think is very difficult?
2. extol verb [ik-stohl, -stol]
to overly praise something or someone
■Example: Nature lovers tend to extol the beauty of mountains.
□Note: Do you think it's right to extol someone's achievements?
3. emulate verb [em-yuh-leyt]
to copy someone's achievements to attain equality or excellence
■Example: Young kids tend to emulate the behavior of the same-gender adults more than adults of the opposite gender.
□Note: In your country's history (or the world's history), which famous figure would you like to emulate?
4. entice verb [en-tahys]
to convince or motivate someone to do an action by offering him/her something that is pleasant
■Example: Extra amenities should be provided by the hotel to entice potential guests.
□Note: How do you entice someone to change if he's not willing to?
5. dazzle verb [daz-uhl]
to overpower or dim one's vision by intense light.
■Example: Rich Arabian women are already accustomed to such splendor, so they are no longer dazzled by expensive accessories.
□Note: Why do you think women are dazzled by diamonds?
6. sprout verb [sprout]
to begin growing or developing; to produce new parts (used for hair and plants as well)
■Example: Food truck have been sprouting everywhere in the city ever since people have become more business-minded.
□Note: What are some of the changes when a boy is sprouting into manhood?
7. burgeon verb [bur-juhn]
to quickly grow or develop
■Example: If a town is being led by a very efficient leader, it will burgeon into a city without having any difficulties.
□Note: Why does love burgeon easily among teenagers?
8. detect verb [dih-tekt]
to discover or determine the existence of something or someone
■Example: The president of the company has detected that there’s a huge problem with corruption going on.
□Note: Detectable is the adjective form of detect, which means “easily detected or seen.”
9. debunk verb [dih-buhngk]
to show or expose falseness of something such as false advertisement, sentiment, claim, assertion, etc.
■Example: Some scientists debunk faith healers for they believe artificial medicines are the most effective form of curing ill people.
□Note: The word debunk was first used by U.S. novelist William Woodward (1874-1950), the notion being "to take the bunk out of things."
10. unravel verb [uhn-rav-uhl]
to clarify or clear something; to solve the situation or problem
■Example: All mysteries in history should be unraveled to make sure that the next generation will have the true and correct data about the past.
□Note: What are some mysteries in your country that you want to be unraveled?
Part2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
__________ 1. toconvince or motivate someone to do an action by offering him/her something that is
__________ 2. to begin growing or developing; to produce new parts (used for hair and plants as well)
__________ 3. to show or expose falseness of something such as false advertisement, sentiment, claim, assertion, etc.
__________ 4. to overpower or dim one's vision by intense light
__________ 5. to clarify or clear something; to solve the situation or problem
__________ 6. to overly praise something or someone
__________ 7. to copy someone's achievements to attain equality or excellence
__________ 8. to produce or encourage an emotion.
__________ 9. to discover or determine the existence of something or someone
__________ 10. to quickly grow or develop
Part2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The bill proposed by Rep. Trent Frank is to ban abortions in the District of Columbia. However, the U.S. House can't ____ the votes to pass such a bill in Washington. Seemingly so, all efforts will just go to waste.
a. muster b. extol c. debunk d. detect
2. Doctors are giving a lot of precautions to women to prevent them from having breast cancer. Newspapers and ads ____ the virtues of housekeeping because based on some studies, doing 6 hours of housecleaning a day can reduce the risks of breast cancer by 13%.
a. extol b. entice c. dazzle d. burgeon
3. Well-developed countries will always be a role model for undeveloped countries. However, the government system of a particular undeveloped country should not _____ the system of those well-developed countries for one rule can’t be applied to all.
a. emulate b. entice c. extol d. muster
4. There are a lot of internet marketing techniques that will ______ a wider audience and market more products. Launching a company via online would be an effective way to have a more successful business.
a. entice b. emulate c. debunk d. detect
5. Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, also known as Adele, is an English singer-songwriter and musician. She received six Grammy Awards in 2012 which made the audience ______ by her talent and voice.
a. dazzled b. enticed c. mustered d. emulated
6. Men commonly experience baldness. However, women also experience hair loss so they are hoping that science can _____ the mysteries of female hair loss so they will be able to regrow their hair naturally.
a. unravel b. dazzled c. entice d. implore
7. Unemployment has always been a big problem in some countries. Moreover, hypermedia systems should be _________ to give opportunities to graduates with technical, analytic and design skills.
a. burgeoned b. sprouted c. extoled d. explored
8. Melanocytes, cells in hair follicles, generate melanin and pheomelanin pigments. The hairs that __________ become grey when the melanocytes stop producing these pigments.
a. sprout b. instigate c. implore d. entice
9. Breast cancer and cervical cancer are some of the common illnesses that are being faced by women. Therefore, doctors always advise women to have a regular check-up to _____ any problems and to take precautions.
a. detect b. entice c. sprout d. burgeon
10. Scientists always ____ the medicines suggested by faith healers. However, some patients still prefer going to faith healers after taking the medicines given by the doctors. They believe that some things cannot be explained by science alone.
a. debunk b. detect c. burgeon d. sprout