14：英検対策2級（Eiken Grade 2）
03: Eiken Grade 2 Vocabularies Lesson 3
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to bring into being; to produce; to make
■Example: This machine generates electricity.
2. hide verb [hahyd]
to put or keep out so that no one can see; to keep information so that no one will know
■Example: She tried to hide the facts about her mother’s death.
3. compare verb [kuhm-pair]
to examine in order to note the similarities or differences of
■Example: Please compare your life now and your life a year ago. Are there lots of differences?
4. decrease verb [dih-krees;]
to grow or cause to become less or smaller in number, amount, intensity or quality
■Example: Due to its aging population, the Japanese population is decreasing.
5. delay verb [dih-ley]
to become later or slower than expected or desired
■Example: My flight to Singapore was delayed due to the bad weather conditions.
6. describe verb [dih-skrahyb]
to tell in words what something or someone is like, to give an idea or impression of someone or something
■Example: Please describe the most beautiful place you have ever seen.
7. determined adjective [dih-tur-min]
having one's mind made up, fixed or settled
■Example: She is determined to finish all her tasks.
8. discount verb (d s kount , d s-kount)
to deduct or subtract from a cost or price, to sell something at a reduced price
■Example: I bought this dress for only 20 dollars. The salesman discounted 30 percent for being a loyal customer.
9. fake adjective [feyk]
having a false or not real appearance, not true
■Example: This is fake money. The paper is very different from the real one.
10. feed verb [feed]
to give food; supply with nourishment
■Example: She feeds the fish every afternoon.
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
____________________1. to grow or cause to become less or smaller in number, amount, intensity or quality
____________________2. to bring into being; to produce; to make
____________________3. to become later or slower than expected or desired
____________________4. to examine in order to note the similarities or differences of
____________________5. having one's mind made up, fixed or settled
____________________6. having a false or not real appearance, not true
____________________7. to give food; supply with nourishment
____________________8. to deduct or subtract from a cost or price, to sell something at a reduced price
____________________9. to put or keep out so that no one can see; to keep information so that no one will know
____________________10. to tell in words what something or someone is like
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1) Cash payment for purchased products will be _____________ at a higher rate.
2) His rivals are _____________ to destroy his presentation. They attempted to put a virus on his computer files.
3) The shoes provided by the officials of the Olympic Games were ________. The athletes were so disappointed because they think they don’t deserve unauthentic supplies.
4) To celebrate his 60th birthday, he made his friends contribute some money to ________ 25 homeless kids.
5) She can’t find the words to ___________ how she feels at the moment. Perhaps, expressing her emotions verbally is impossible since she’s so overwhelmed.