16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
27: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 27
Part 1: Vocabulary words
the natural place where one or any organism lives and grows or can be found
■Example: People avoid that place because it’s the habitat of different kinds of criminals.
□Note: Describe the habitat of frogs.
2. Hypertension noun [hahy-per-ten-shuh n]
very high emotional tension; high-blood pressure
■Example: His children always make sure that he eats healthy dishes all the time because he has been suffering from hypertension since he turned 60.
□Note: Are you hypertensive?
3. Fame noun [feym]
being widely known and having a very good reputation
■Example: She wasn’t able to handle her fame very well; she became so proud to the point of disrespecting her manager and even her parents.
□Note: Why do you think a lot of people want to be ‘famous’?
4. Boom noun [boom]
the period in which the economy is growing really fast, which is characterized by a high employment rate and high wages and prices
■Example: The boom that every country has been waiting for has finally come after a decade of depression.
□Note: This word can also be used as a verb which means ‘to grow or progress strongly’.
5. Statistics noun [stuh-tis-tiks]
recorded numerical data or facts
■Example: Upon checking the statistics, teachers and parents found out that the main reason for student drop-outs is bullying.
□Note: It is also the branch of mathematics that deals with the gathering of numerical data, their organization and analysis.
6. Status noun [stey-tuh s, stat-uh s]
one’s position or professional or social standing in relation to others
■Example: Could you please check the status of our request? I turned in the application about a week ago, but I still haven’t received any feedback yet.
□Note: What’s the status symbol of a businessman?
7. Structure noun [struhk-cher]
anything that was built or constructed by arranging its parts or elements
■Example: The engineers, together with the scientists, are developing a new structure in order to make buildings and roads much safer in times of natural calamities.
□Note: This word can also be used as a verb which means ‘to give structure or organization’.
8. Chemical noun [kem-i-kuh l]
a substance that is basically produced through chemical processes
■Example: Keep those chemicals away from children. They can be fatal when ingested.
□Note: Think of some harmful chemicals that are usually found at home.
9. Contrast noun [kon-trast]
■Example: Apparently, the lively and vigorous mood of the town’s men is a huge contrast to the rigidity of the people in the city.
□Note: ‘Contrast’ and ‘compare’ shouldn’t be confused. ‘Compare’ is used when pointing out the similarities between two people or things, whereas ‘contrast’ is used when emphasizing the unlikeness of two people or things.
10. Instructions noun [in-struhk-shuh n]
directions on how to do something (usually with –s)
■Example: Read the instructions in the manual carefully before operating the machine.
□Note: Are you good at following instructions?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
___________1. the period in which the economy is growing really fast which is characterized by a high employment rate and high wages and prices
___________ 2. being widely known and having a very good reputation
___________ 3. a substance that is basically produced through chemical processes
___________ 4. obvious unlikeness
___________ 5. directions on how to do something (usually with –s)
____________6. recorded numerical data or fact
___________ 7. the natural place where one or any organism lives and grows or can be found
___________ 8. anything that was built or constructed by arranging its parts or elements
___________ 9. one’s position or professional or social standing in relation to others
___________ 10. very high emotional tension; high-blood pressure
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. To avoid any mistakes in operating the machine, make sure to read and follow the ______________ very carefully. If you miss out on any of the directions indicated, the machine will either malfunction or worse, crash.
2. Their youngest son's personality is obviously in _____________ with the personalities of their other kids. He is not sociable and prefers playing the piano all day long, while his siblings enjoy the company of others.
3. For some, ____________wasn't as easy to handle as people thought it would be. The pressure of the limelight and the expectations that go along the popularity were just too much for them to bear and they end up losing it all.
4. Elderly people have higher chances of suffering from ____________. However, young people can also suffer from what we call in layman’s terms 'high blood pressure', most likely because of their unhealthy lifestyle.
5. Some animals became extinct because of the destruction of their ___________, which resulted from extreme weather conditions or man-made disasters. When they lose their natural environment for growing and living, they then have a small chance of surviving.
6. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a freestanding bell tower that's famous for its very eccentric ___________. Building its inadequate foundation on very soft ground gave it its unintentional tilt, which made it really famous all over the world.
7. Japan's economy started to ___________in the late 1980s due to high domestic demands. The growth was the effect of the people's buying spree while companies increased private plant and equipment spending.
8. Sarin was the _______________ that a cult used in Japan for their lethal gas attack. A number of people died and some were given lifelong serious injuries due to the well-coordinated fatal attacks using the said substance.
9. According to __________, 48% of pregnancies in the country occur with unwed women and 23% of those unwed women are below 21 years old. These data cover only the last three years and show no signs of improvement.
10. It is indeed very convenient to keep track of the _____________of the package that you sent. Just log on to the carrier's website and enter the tracking number of your package and it'll show you the information you need to know about it.