16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
43: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 43
Part 1: Vocabulary words
the end or limit of something
■Example: When you are deeply in love with someone, you feel like there’s no boundary that will separate you from the person you love.
□Note: Should there be a boundary when it comes to love? Why or why not?
2. Caption noun [kap-shuh n]
words under the picture in a book, newspaper, comics or magazine that explain or describe the picture
■Example: Writing a caption about a certain picture is like writing a blog that can inspire a lot of readers.
□Note: What would be the drawback if a picture doesn’t have a caption?
3. Gap noun [gap]
difference between people or group
■Example: Why don’t you talk to your parents to avoid having a communication gap? Having open communication will surely help.
□Note: Is there any gap between rich and poor people in your country? Explain.
4. Swarm noun [swawrm]
an overwhelming number of people, animals or things in motion
■Example: I heard from the news that there will be a swarm of meteors this weekend. I guess that’s high time for you to propose. Good luck!
□Note: What do you feel when you see a swarm of fans going nuts when they see their idols?
5. Interaction noun [in-ter-ak-shuh n]
the act of communicating with people and reacting with each other
■Example: Having an active interaction between a teacher and a student will lead to a successful learning environment.
□Note: Is social interaction important in one’s life? Explain further.
6. Refinement noun [kuh m-pleynt]
an act of improving something by making slight changes
■Example: There should be a refinement in this architectural design. Please improve the design!
□Note: What are some of the refinements that you would like to make to have a better government?
7. Installment noun [in-stawl-muh nt]
the payable amount that is divided into a certain period of time with a fixed amount and a fixed time so as not to pay the total payable amount at once
■Example: I always buy gadgets and expensive things using my credit card because I can always pay it in installments.
□Note: What are the advantages and disadvantages of paying in installments?
8. Transaction noun [tran-sak-shuh n, -zak-]
the process of making a business deal with two or more people, usually related to buying or selling things or the exchange of goods
■Example: I had a great transaction with some Chinese investors. My new business will be launched soon.
□Note: What kind of business transaction is famous in Japan?
9. Condiment noun [kon-duh-muh nt]
something that you use, such as spices, salt, pepper and all the like, to add on to the taste or to improve the taste of the food
■Example: Since I love salty food, salt has always been the best condiment for me. I always relish my food with salt.
□Note: What condiment do Japanese people commonly use ?
10. Sequel noun [see-kwuh l]
a continuous work or story of the previous book, film, play, etc.
■Example: Many avid readers of the book Harry Potter are hoping for any sequel book written by J.K. Rowling.
□Note: What sequel film have you been interested in?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. difference between people or group
_______________ 2. an act of improving something by making slight changes
_______________ 3. an overwhelming number of people, animals or things in motion
_______________ 4. the act of communicating with people and reacting with each other
_______________ 5. the payable amount that is divided into a certain period of time with a fixed amount and a fixed time so as not to pay the total payable amount at once
_______________ 6. words under the picture in a book, newspaper, comics or magazine that explain or describe the picture
_______________ 7. the process of making a business deal with two or more people, usually related to buying or selling things or the exchange of goods
_______________ 8. something that you use, such as spices, salt, pepper and all the like, to add on to the taste or to improve the taste of the food
_______________ 9. a continuous work or story of the previous book, film, play, etc.
_______________ 10. the end or limit of something
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The movie industry was dying a few years back, but because of the excellent _________ films such as Harry Potter, Twilight, The Hunger Games, etc., the said industry became huge and active once again.
2. She was the one promoted as the new sales directress because she could speak different languages. Since she is multilingual, the CEO is expecting her to have good business __________ with different investors.
3. A coffee junkie started running his own coffee shop a few years back. His coffee shop is one of the best in our town since he invented different __________ to enjoy with one's coffee.
4. Paying your debts with your credit card in ___________ seems to be convenient and easy, but you have to watch out because some banks have hidden charges if you don't pay all your bills at once. It is still more advisable to pay all your debts in full.
5. Our new operation manager made an important __________ in the whole working operation. All the changes she made impressed both the top management and her subordinates.
6. He always rubs shoulders with his boss because he’s aiming for a promotion. However, because he can't have good __________ with his colleagues and his clients, a promotion might be close to impossible.
7. It isn't very common in Japan to have either a demonstration or a strike. However, you will often see a __________ of protesters in other countries in Asia such as in the Philippines.
8. The young and old generations always have different perspectives in life. The ___________ between the two might lead to a better community for the next generation, but this could also harm and confuse them.
9. He judged the picture just by merely looking at it and he shared his opinion about it without any hesitation only to find out that the description said otherwise. He was so embarrassed in front of his friends, so he promised himself that he would always read the ____________ of pictures before drawing any conclusions.
10. She gave everything to her husband to the extent of giving up her dreams in life just to be a good wife, only to be a divorcee in the end. From then on, she realized that when you love someone, you should know your limits because even love has its own _______.