16：英検対策準1級（Eiken Grade Pre-1）
50: Eiken Grade Pre-1 Vocabularies Lesson 50
Part 1: Vocabulary words
a person who is out of money and unable to pay their debts
■Example: Mary lost her job and went bankrupt after she could no longer pay her bills.
□Note: Do you know of any person or company in recent years who went bankrupt?
2. Aggressive adjective [uh-gres-iv]
making an all-out effort to do something
■Example: The aggressive salesman ran to the customer hoping to make a sale.
□Note: Would you consider boxing to be as an aggressive sport?
3. Authentic adjective [aw-then-tik]
not copied; genuine; real
■Example: The lady was carrying an authentic Louis Vuitton bag she purchased in Paris.
□Note: How do you feel about purchasing something that is not authentic?
4. Adequate adjective [ad-i-kwit]
■Example: Being adequate is not good enough.
□Note: When have you encountered someone whose work was only adequate?
5. Obvious adjective [ob-vee-uh s]
■Example: The red apple was obvious in a basket full of yellow bananas.
□Note: What emotions would you show when it is obvious you are having a good time?
6. Moderate adjective [mod-er-it]
keeping within reasonable limits
■Example: The supermarket kept milk at a moderate price of $2.00 per gallon.
□Note: Would you consider yourself as a conservative, liberal, or moderate in your politics?
7. Alien noun [eyl-yuh n]
a resident born in another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization
■Example: An alien arrived on Earth from Mars.
□Note: What is the process of acquiring citizenship for an alien in your country?
8. Keen adjective [keen]
showing strong vision
■Example: She was able to see a very small ant 10 feet away with her keen eyes.
□Note: What of your 5 senses would you consider as keen?
9. Prompt adjective [prompt]
performed without delay
■Example: He gave a prompt reply 5 minutes after receiving the email.
□Note: Is being prompt important for work?
10. Government noun [guhv-ern-muh nt]
a form of rule by which a state is run
■Example: The government creates the laws for the land and its people.
□Note: What recent laws have your government passed?
Part 2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_______________ 1. not copied
_______________ 2. keeping within reasonable limits
_______________ 3. a form of rule by which a state is run
_______________ 4. a resident born in another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization
_______________ 5. a person who is out of money and unable to pay their debts
_______________ 6. making an all-out effort to win or to do something
_______________ 7. showing strong vision
_______________ 8. barely sufficient
_______________ 9. easily seen
_______________ 10. performed without delay
Part 2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. The weak economy and payment defaults from its clients caused Lehman Brothers to go ____________, which caused worldwide panic. Stocks lost their value and markets went on a downward fall, causing many companies to lose billions of dollars over the next couple of months.
2. Lisa shyly batted her eyes and displayed such a huge amount of affection toward Frank that by the end of the day, it was _____________ she wanted to be his date for the school dance. Frank was oblivious of her motives, so he asked his best friend Sally to be his date.
3. The ___________ passed laws to clean the streets of criminals and gangs. Citizens breathed a sigh of relief after many years of living in a city that shut its doors once it got dark for fear of being attacked.
4. Kathy saw the deer foraging for food 3 miles away in the woods. Her _________ sight and sensitive hearing is known throughout the land, which has helped her garner awards and recognitions.
5. The Garcia family had a feast at a/an ______________ Japanese restaurant during their visit to Tokyo last March. Dinner ended with a traditional tea ceremony to enhance the cultural experience of the trip.
6. Carly did not bring enough money to purchase a bag of candy. In order to satisfy her sweet tooth, she purchased an ____________ amount and savored the sweet, delicious taste of candy.
7. Andrew moved to America with his family from the Philippines last year. He will be a/an ____________ for 5 years before he can be eligible to apply for American citizenship and reap the benefits of being a naturalized American.
8. I called my lawyer for legal advice and his competent secretary called me back within 20 minutes. She is known to be very _______________ at returning calls and answering questions for his clients.
9. The 2012 US election brought about a/an ______________ campaigning from Republican Mitt Romney and Democrat Barack Obama. Both travelled thousands of miles to speak to people from different social backgrounds and ethnicities in hopes of getting their vote.
10. Liz was given a surprise birthday party by her college friends. She made sure she only consumed a/an ___________ amount of wine and other alcoholic beverages because she had an early work day the following day.