17：英検対策1級（Eiken Grade 1）
23: Eiken Grade 1 Vocabularies Lesson 23
Part 1: Vocabulary words
to petition for help or support
to mention (someone or something) in an attempt to make people feel a certain way or have a certain idea in their mind
to appeal to or cite as authority
■Example: The victim tried to invoke the authorities for due process.
□Note: Invoke is to call upon or appeal something or someone for help or inspiration, while evoke is to bring or call something to the conscious mind; evoke is from the Latin evocare- to call out, while invoke is from invocare- to call on
2. Crunch verb [kruhnch]
to chew or press with a crushing noise
to make one's way with a crushing noise
■Example: The dried maple leaves crunched beneath his feet.
□Note: Another definition for the word crunch is a tight situation; specif., an economic squeeze.
3. Dawdle verb [dawd-l]
to move or act too slowly; to spend time idly; to move lackadaisically
■Example: Now is not the best time to dawdle; the train will be leaving 30 minutes from now.
□Note: Idioms for the word dawdle are: drag one’s feet, mark time, and take your time.
4. Undermine verb [uhn-der-mahyn]
to make (someone or something) weaker or less effective usually in a secret or gradual way
■Example: He undermined the team and made them lose the game.
□Note: The word undermine can also mean to excavate the earth beneath : form a mine under.
5. Diagnose verb [dahy-uhg-nohs, -nohz]
to analyze the cause or nature of
■Example: I have to diagnose the problem before stating my case.
□Note: In the medical field to diagnose would mean to recognize (as a disease) by signs and symptoms; to diagnose a disease or condition in <diagnosed the patient>
6. Blur verb [blur]
something vaguely or indistinctly perceived; especially :something moving or occurring too quickly to be clearly seen
■Example: Because we were intoxicated, everything was a blur when we went home last night.
□Note: A word that could mean the opposite of the word blur is clear.
7. Squabble noun [skwob-uhl]
to argue loudly about things that are not important
■Example: I heard the two kids squabble about their toys, and I found it cute and funny.
□Note: from Swedish dialect skyabbel, meaning dispute
8. Vie verb [vahy]
to compete with others in an attempt to get or win something
■Example: Let us vie to win the most prestigious race in the world.
□Note: Words that can mean the same as the word vie are: rival; compete; and strive.
9. Bluff noun [bluhf]
to pretend that you will do something or that you know or have something in order to trick someone into doing what you want
■Example: It was a bluff, he will never throw that shirt away; it has great value to him.
□Note: The word bluff can also mean rising steeply with a broad, flat or rounded front
10. Broach verb [brohch]
to introduce (a subject, issue, etc.) for discussion
■Example: I asked her to broach the issue regarding the increase of tuition fees, to make the superiors aware of how devastated we are about it.
□Note: A broach can also be a large piece of women's jewelry.
Part2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
_____________1. to introduce (a subject, issue, etc.) for discussion
_____________2. to analyze the cause or nature of
_____________3. to pretend that you will do something or that you know or have something in order to trick someone into doing what you want
_____________4. to make (someone or something) weaker or less effective usually in a secret or gradual way
_____________5. to compete with others in an attempt to get or win something
_____________6. to move or act too slowly; to spend time idly; to move lackadaisically
_____________7. to argue loudly about things that are not important
_____________8. to chew or press with a crushing noise; to make one's way with a crushing noise
_____________9. something vaguely or indistinctly perceived; especially :something moving or occurring too quickly to be clearly seen
_____________10. to petition for help or support; to mention (someone or something) in an attempt to make people feel a certain way or have a certain idea in their mind to appeal to or cite as authority
Part2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. My cousin and I were still bathing when we heard my mom calling us. She was saying loudly that there’s no time to _____________ because we were on a schedule and that the tour bus would arrive any minute. Right away, we rushed towards the room to get dressed.
a. dawdle b. squabble c. blur d. diagnose
2. The news break confirmed that the transportation fare hike is most likely to be implemented, as the request from the association of public transportation was passed on for deliberation. I just hope that the law makers will further ____________ the justification made for the increase of transportation fare before formally implementing it.
a. invoke b. squabble c. vie d. diagnose
3. In today’s session, I think the suspect made his testimony a ___________ due to his inconsistent statements about the incident. Fortunately, the case was making fast progress due to the evidence presented by the victim. And now, the verdict will be based on the evidence against the suspect’s statement.
a. undermine b. broach c. blur d. vie
4. Last night, we were supposed to meet up early at 7/11, but you did not show up. You could have at least tried to catch us at Kyle’s place because he needs our support. You could have been with us. We had to ___________ miracles upon his sick mother.
a. dawdle b. crunch c. invoke d. vie
5. I find it silly if a couple begins to ___________ about how long the other has been using the bathroom. Why don’t they agree on a schedule instead, so that none of them needs to compromise and make up for time lost at work.
a. crunch b. squabble c. dawdle d. undermine
6. We played poker last night and spent a couple of hours celebrating because I won. During the game, I made a __________ by making a huge bet and fooled people into thinking that I had a better set of cards. I hope this justifies why I came home late.
a. invoke b. bluff c. dawdle d. broach
7. Numerous interested investors were all over the place for its Grand Opening. It was a ________ finding the perfect lot to invest in. We were lucky to have found one, and this was because we were there early.
a. vie b. broach c. crunch d. undermine
8. Rumor has it that they planned to ____________ the best player from the other team, so they can win the game and represent their division in the grand finals. I’m beginning to believe that it was no rumor, because things happened, exactly the way the rumor planned.
a. invoke b. squabble c. undermine d. dawdle
9. Despite being bothered by the situation, I kept my mouth shut, because I was advised that it is better not to ________ an issue that you know will lead to a huge argument. I just hope that what I heard about him is not true.
a. broach b. vie c. undermine d. crunch
10. I could not sleep with all the construction going on. I am most bothered by the ___________ of the truck as it pours the gravel at the construction site. I hope they can finish everything this month.
a. crunch b. bluff c. dawdle d. squabble