17：英検対策1級（Eiken Grade 1）
39: Eiken Grade 1 Vocabularies Lesson 39
Part 1: Vocabulary words
the main idea of a speech, argument, or a story
■Example: The gist of the article is that icecaps from most mountains are melting at an incredibly fast rate.
2. influx noun [in-fluhks]
an arrival of many things, objects, or people; flowing in
■Example: The addition of an entertainment center in the mall produced an influx of new customers ranging from teenagers to middle-aged consumers.
3. backlash noun [bak-lash]
a sudden or violent reaction that happens as a result from another movement or action
■Example: Even with the country’s aggressive attitude towards claiming other territories, they had to restrain themselves for fear of backlash from the UN.
4. onset noun [on-set]
a start or a beginning
The onset of this winter was a lot colder compared to last year’s.
5. paternity noun [puh-tur-ni-tee]
the state/fact of being a father or connected with being a father
■Example: He was hoping he could have an extended paternity leave.
6. preservation noun [pri-zur-vation]
the act of preventing something from being damaged; act of keeping something in its original condition
■Example: The locals demanded for the preservation of a hero’s ancestral house, which was over 200 years old.
7. verdict noun [vur-dikt]
LAW: decision whether guilty or not, made by a jury in a trial; someone’s judgment/opinion about something
■Example: The verdict was guilty.
8. credibility noun [kred-uh-bil-i-tee]
the quality of being trustworthy and believable.
■Example: Her lack of credibility made her friends not believe what she was saying despite the truth behind her words.
9. momentum noun [moh-men-tuhm]
something that influences an activity/process to happen or continue
■Example: After almost 2 years, the case against the governor finally gained momentum when a new witness decided to help out.
10. brevity noun [brev-i-tee]
concise words in speech/writing; short time
■Example: Effective communication skills require brevity.
Part2: Exercise 1
Give the word being asked for each number.
__________ 1. the main idea of a speech, argument, or a story
__________ 2. the state/fact of being a father or connected with being a father
__________ 3. the act of preventing something from being damaged; act of keeping something in its original condition
__________ 4. the quality of being trustworthy and believable
__________ 5. a sudden or violent reaction that happens as a result from another movement or action
__________ 6. LAW: decision whether guilty or not, made by a jury in a trial; someone’s judgment/opinion
__________ 7. something that influences an activity/process to happen or continue
__________ 8. a start or a beginning
__________ 9. concise words in speech/writing; short time
__________ 10. an arrival of many things, objects, or people; flowing in
Part2: Exercise 2
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1. Despite the ________ of their relationship, he considers it to be the happiest among all the other relationships that he’s been in.
a. momentum b. credibility c. verdict d. brevity
2. The key player on their school’s basketball team lost his ____________ in the last few minutes of the game when he got a message that his girlfriend was breaking up with him.
a. paternity b. preservation c. influx d. momentum
3. Lani tried cooking for the first time and surprisingly, her guinea pig (her boyfriend) gave it a positive_________ by finishing it up in no time.
a. verdict b. influx c. backlash d. gist
4. It is surprising how many prominent figures in politics would take a very long time talking without arriving to the _________ of their speech.
a. onset b. gist c. paternity d. preservation
5. He categorically denied the _________ of her child and demanded a DNA test to scientifically prove that he’s the one who fathered the child.
a. preservation b. paternity c. influx d. backlash
6. The Department of Education proposed to include classes that focus on traditional culture for its _________ and to increase awareness among the youngsters. This is also in the hope of increasing nationalism and patriotism.
a. preservation b. momentum c. brevity d. credibility
7. The president’s _________was questioned when he wasn’t able to explain how he doubled his assets in just 6 months. He said that he has nothing to explain and his lawyers will answer all the people’s questions.
a. verdict b. replenishing c. paternity d. credibility
8. It is usually best to take medication immediately at the __________of any symptoms in order to prevent the disease from getting any worse. However, most people ignore those symptoms and their diseases are diagnosed when already severe.
a. onset b. backlash c. influx d. credibility
9. It is said that the unreasonable lending practices of banks and people’s borrowing and spending habits are what caused the economic _________ that we are experiencing now.
a. backlash b. gist c. preservation d. verdict
10. It is necessary to implement the new reforms in the tax and registration system in order to create and maintain a steady _________ of new businesses. Businessmen who are new to the industry are hopeful of a good future for their endeavors.
a. influx b. backlash c. onset d. paternity