23：美容とファッション（Beauty and Fashion）
01: “TLC FOR YOUR SKIN”
1. Look at the picture and read the text below
Beauty begins with beautiful skin. Our skin, being the largest
organ in our body, is one of the first things other people notice and is perhaps
the most essential indicator of health and beauty. Beauty and wellness go hand
in hand, thus, healthy skin is equivalent to beauty. Radiant, youthful and
supple skin may be achieved by maintaining a balanced diet and exercise.
Practicing hygiene and a daily skin care routine is key to protecting and
nourishing your skin. An ideal skin care ritual is not necessarily long or
complicated. Your regimen must be simple, basic and habitual. As long as you
can commit to it every day, your skin will be baby smooth and glowing in no
time. Always bear in mind that if you take care of your skin, your skin will
take care of you. Love your skin and your skin will love you back.
So, how do we do that? With your own skin in mind, read this guide and follow what best suits you. Seek a dermatologist or skin care specialist for advice on which products will match your unique skin type. Wonderful skin awaits you in FIVE easy steps!
1. Cleanse. Wash your face at least twice a day to get rid of oil and dirt. Doing so shall save you from common skin problems such as acne and blackheads. Opt for mild cleansers that are suitable to your skin type. You may seek the dermatologist’s advice on how to determine whether your skin is dry, oily or normal. Massage your face thoroughly but gently with warm water before applying the cleanser. Rinse well afterwards. Cleansing both face and body before bedtime is a crucial step in achieving beautiful skin. Soak yourself in the bath and shower with a bath gel, cream or soap formulated for the body. Finish up with a dip or splash of cold, not warm, water.
2. Tone. Toners supplement the cleansing stage by stripping any trace of dirt that was left behind by your facial wash. They also cool and tighten your skin, preventing not only nasty zits and blackheads but also those ugly wrinkles and fine lines. Go for toners that are alcohol-free to prevent skin irritation and dryness.
3. Exfoliate. Exfoliants and scrubs polish your skin into tip-toe shape by removing dead skin cells, and rejuvenate it by revealing a newer, brighter layer of skin underneath. Scrub once or twice a week at most. Excessive exfoliation might cause darkening and redness, so be light on the scrub.
4. Moisturize. Moisturizers hydrate the skin. They come in the form of lotions and creams. Think of it as water for your skin. Our skin gets as thirsty as we do so make it a habit to moisturize. Do it a few times throughout the day unless your skin is too oily or acne-prone. Whenever your skin feels dry and tight, give it some tender loving care with lotion or cream. Never overdo moisturizers though as they can clog your pores and do your skin more harm than good. Apply moisturizer to your face and neck in light, upward strokes. Swipe it in ample amounts all over your body in gentle strokes, focusing mostly on your belly, chest, calves, thighs, and forearms.
5. Protect. The earlier steps will be useless if you fail to protect your skin from harsh outdoor elements. Wear sunscreen at all times even on cloudy days. Stepping out into daylight without sunscreen is like going out naked. It only takes 10-15 minutes for the sun’s rays to damage your skin. Did you know that computer monitors and most electric appliances also emit ultraviolet rays which cause aging and skin darkening? That said, it’s wise to apply light sunscreen even when you are working indoors.
1) Do you think the advice written in the article is actually effective?
2) Which of these steps do you already know and follow?
3) What is “beautiful” or “perfect” skin to you?
4) What do you think is the best method to achieve beautiful skin?
5) Do you wear sunscreen everyday to protect your skin from the sun?