11：アメリカ口語（Conversational American English）
01 : Offering Help
Please describe the picture shown below.
Read the dialogue with your teacher.
A: Do you need any help?
B: Not right now.
A: Maybe I could run errands for you or something?
B: You could if there’s something I need. So, why don’t you just rest and relax for now?
A: I guess I’m a real workaholic. I can’t just sit here and do nothing because I feel I’m no use.
B: You are really not good at doing nothing, but you would definitely miss these lazy days because next week there will be lots of things to do.
A: Exactly as you said! I never was good at doing nothing. Well, I’m looking forward to that.
B: Then you should learn how to relax. Oh, how odd!
Read the following words/expressions used in the dialogue and make sample sentences using them.
1. Run errands — to take a short trip to do a specific thing, for example, go to the store, shops or markets to pick up some things
2. Lazy days — leisurely days
3. Workaholic — a person who is addicted to work
4. Odd — strange, weird
Answer the following questions.
2. Why does one of the speakers feel useless?
3. What advice did the other speaker give?
4. Are you a workaholic? Why or why not?
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being workaholic?
Do you agree or disagree? Explain why.
1. It is better to help than to be helped.
2. Being workaholic is natural when you love your job.